The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit that "Picks a Card" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Rabbits seem to have a natural curiosity. At least, that is my experience with Netherland Dwarf bunnies. Every single one I have owned has been curious, but some to a greater degree than others.

I currently have a Blue-Eyed White (my oldest at the moment) that is extremely curious. If anything is changed (added or removed) from his cage it seems to drive him crazy for a short time. He runs around excitedly, looks at and sniffs everything around. It almost seems like he worries when I remove something out for cleaning. If I reach in his hutch with anything in my hand he hurriedly runs up and checks it out.

From what I am reading here, it seems the more curious they are the easier it might be to get them to pick a card.

Regan
Mister Mystery
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
If played off right this can be a great effect. My Macaw has done this in my show for about 6 years. Audiences love it.
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Matthew:

One of the reasons your Macaw and my Rabbit do this is their dependence on the mouth to examine things. Neither has the ability to do too much with their feet, as in turning things over and moving them.

In the case of the Rabbit, there is no “hand” rotation or grabbing potential. In the case of you Macaw, the feet are very preoccupied in balance. Both have a history of moving things around.

Bob
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Bob,

My macaw picks it with her foot. She can pick it with her beak as well, but it took some training to get her to use her foot.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Matthew:

Frequently, on this forum, people attribute basic instincts of animal behavior to human training of the animal. Like someone saying they have “trained” their cat to fall on all four feet when dropped, or that they have taught their rabbit to “play dead.”

You have apparently really done some creative training. You should be very proud of your work and the time that it took.

Bob
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Thanks, it didn't hurt that Macaws are very smart. She does a ton of other things such as fly out over the audience and return, etc... Even though I coached her I know that I am taking advantage of her natural instinct. Even the card uses her natural instinct because she uses her feet to pick up food, etc..
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Got a New Rabbit and he picks a card!

I went to a rabbit breeder and the second rabbit I looked at "Picked a Card" for me.

So I took him home.

This is so cool and I will do it in my all my shows from now on.

After I magically produce the rabbit I put him in a top hat. (He like it there)

Then I have someone pick a card & sign it. I control it to the botton of the deck and when I fan the cards I push the selected card toward his mouth and he takes it then drops it. Very Cool!!!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
OK.....So that is what I do with my card picking rabbit.

Anyone want to share what they do with their card picking rabbit?

I'd LOVE some suggestions!

Thanks,

Neznarf
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
TaylorM
View Profile
New user
Chicago
25 Posts

Profile of TaylorM
Man... I wish my rabbits were more sociable, they are netherland dwarfs and they are very afraid of big things, like people... I don't use them in my magic (mostly because my wife won't let me, heh). I wish I could, that would be great.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Netherland Dwarf rabbits are nervous by nature, and sometimes timid, but with gentle and frequent handling they should become plenty 'sociable'.

Regan
Mister Mystery
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Does anyone know how to get a rabbit that doesn't naturally pick up cards to do it? My lop, which is a rescue is very tame and rather curious but she doesn't want to grab the cards and pull them out. Any help?

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 22:19, wizardofsorts wrote:
Does anyone know how to get a rabbit that doesn't naturally pick up cards to do it? My lop, which is a rescue is very tame and rather curious but she doesn't want to grab the cards and pull them out. Any help?

Edd

Try taping a pellet or favorite treat to a card. You have to take "baby steps" to train a rabbit. Natural behaviors are biting, pulling, scratching, jumping and standing. I suggest the "clicker" method to capture all these behaviors and make a bridge then cue.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Put some card in the cage for them to play with. You will find they will start chewing on them eventually and figure out a card is something to chew on.

Don't just leave cards in their cage, watch them with them. Place them in the food dish, or put treats on top of the cards.

Worked for my rabbit which would not pick the card...

Steven
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Chris Caphart said when asked this question, "I bring a deck of cards with me, the rabbit that keeps grabbing one is the one I buy."
Dennis Michael
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Steven and Lou,
Thanks for the tips, I'll try them.

Dennis,
Well, I've already got the rabbit (she's a rescue) and I'm not interested in getting another one. I saw Chris's lecture last week and he has some fun tricks using his rabbit that I'm going to start working on.

Thanks,
Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit that "Picks a Card" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL