The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 5 minutes with a pocket handkercheif (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cascade88
View Profile
Regular user
Sam 104
109 Posts

Profile of Cascade88
Hello,
I am new to these forums and I am currently designing a Kid's show. I have the whole Quentin reynolds 5 minutes with a pocket hank routine down and I have a quick question...What is the youngest age you would perform this routine for?

-thank you
"Once is magic Twice is education."
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
The routine should be fine for kids age 4 and older. My advice to you would be to use whatever you consider to be the best two minutes of the routine. I haven't seen Quentin Reynolds perform the routine, but I have seen half a dozen others try it. Without exception, they all went at it about three minutes too long.
"Don't run with those..."
Cascade88
View Profile
Regular user
Sam 104
109 Posts

Profile of Cascade88
Yeah I am not going to do the stand up hank, and I might modify it a little more by not doing the same knots as him even though they are great.

-thank you for the advice
"Once is magic Twice is education."
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I've done a lot of the stuff with the mouse for kids as young as two and as old as 80.

An animated mouse made out of a hank is just plain funny. If you are also funny this thing can work for any age group. Imagine somebody like Tom Mullica doing the thing. It is a true gem for anybody that likes to entertain.

I just can't say enough good things about this DVD.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
4 and up.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
You'll find the routine plays for all ages. I've done it for very young children as well as adults.

I suggest you do the routine as is for a while and after a dozen or so performances you will start to get a feel for the rhythm of the routine. Regardless of what other magicians think you must be guided by the reaction of your audience.

Towards the end of the DVD I go into a lot of the psychology of what makes the routine so powerful and it's worth your while rewatching that.

The magical literature is full of impromptu bits and pieces that can be routined into a very strong 'act'. Check out the business with hands and fingers in MY BEST as well as the ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF IMPROMPTU MAGIC. I never got around to it but there is the basis there for three or four minutes of a totally impromptu routine.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Quentin
I have seen your routine on the Dan Harlan "bandshark" DVD, and I was wondering. Have you ever done it in the US, or Canada, because I felt that it was a routine that might not play well on this side of the pond, or maybe it's just me who couldn't pull it off on this side of the pond?
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I use it all the time here in the states Angello...its for kids of "all ages"..great reactions.

Mark
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Hello Al, I have performed the routine all over the place. I've perfromed it informally for friends - adults and children in the US and it went just as well there as anywhere else.

The secret of perfroming the routine and getting the reaction is your interaction and reaction with the handkerchief - the stretching, the jumping, the knots disappearing, the hanky evolving into different items, eventually taking on a life of its own, going out of control before disappearing back into nothingness.

In a normal magic show the audience is safe, they're watching the show. It adds an enormous emotional element to your show when something apparently goes out of your control and affects the 'safety' of your audience.

I have know idea how the routine ended up on a Dan Harlan video. Are you sure?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Quentin
Thanks for your reply. I traded my Dan Harlan rubber band DVD's for a set of Daryl rope DVD's, but I remember you well. You are a tall, slim, Irish man with short red hair. The routine was very energetic in front of a class room full of children. I enjoyed your performance, but I don't think it would fit my personality.
Thanx
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I have used the stand up hanky and mouse portions of the routine for dozens of shows at my son's daycare (here in Canada) for children 3 and up. It always plays well. I have performed it impromptu 100's of times. I seldom go anywhere now without a handkerchief in one of my pockets.

Quentin, thanks for sharing the routine.

Cheers.
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I always use it for 4 to old with very good result.

Added more stuff in my routine:
+ At the end of Mouse routine I vanish it on a change bag to produce a "magic mouse" that runs arround my hands and arms.
+ Produce more funny figures and comedy like a dancer, a rabbit puppet, rose, doll, a grand ma, a baby chick and a king crown, all of them with a red color bandana and at the end I produce candies.
The routine takes from 5 to 20 minutes.

I like more Bandanas than handkercheif becuause its colors and size.
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Matty Moriates
I can't wait to get this dvd. I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice as well because it has helped me. So thank you!
-3-
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
This is a great routine and make sure to get a good noise winder. I got the one recommended by Quentin.

I have the DVD for sale in the DVDs for sale section, if anyone is interested.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 5 minutes with a pocket handkercheif (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL