The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Filming street performances (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'm looking to get some footage of street performances. I'm not going to be passing a hat, just want to get some footage so that I can evaluate my performance.

I shouldn't have to worry about a permit as long as I'm not going to some place where there are buskers, etc, right? I don't plan to draw a large crowd, small groups of maybe 10 people or so. I figure a side street is good enough.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 10:53, rikbrooks wrote:
I'm looking to get some footage of street performances. I'm not going to be passing a hat, just want to get some footage so that I can evaluate my performance.

Do you want someone to film you, or you are looking for film of others?
Quote:
I shouldn't have to worry about a permit as long as I'm not going to some place where there are buskers, etc, right? I don't plan to draw a large crowd, small groups of maybe 10 people or so. I figure a side street is good enough.

That will probably depend on the city where you want to work- or what area of a given city. Either contact someone official to ask, or try the old tested measure of asking forgiveness instead of permission.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I filmed myself with a tripod all last summer - it was most difficult this way. It is nearly impossible to capture the moment like this! With over 100 hours of footage, I have maybe 10 usable minutes of anything decent. In most footage, I am out-of-frame ... or the crowd is blocking the camera. The audio is always poor. The camera's autofocus goes in and out at times. I was filming at night, so there was always a lighting nightmare. In addition to lugging the camera to my pitch, there is more time delay in setting it up and preparing to film.

But it was very valuable for being able to analyze my act, very much worth the headaches. I plan to keep filming my act. Smile

I suggest filming a show, then moving the camera to a new location ... while you may feel you are getting the best shot while on the street, getting home and actually seeing the footage can result in a whole new outlook.

JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I am training someone to film me. So it's not a matter of money. I figure I'll get a good cameraman and some footage that I can use for evaluating my act and for promo.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 11:18, JoeJoe wrote:
I filmed myself with a tripod all last summer

And you didn't worry about someone wandering off with your camera?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Ric: if you have a camera man, you should easily be able to get very usable footage - I've literally just handed my camera to people on the street and asked them to film me and have got great footage. And mine is an older camera without a working view finder. I can't imagine you would need a permit for someone holding a camera, maybe with a tripod but not with a camera man.

Mandrake: Nope - I never worry about anyone stealing anything, I find it unproductive. Maybe things are diffent elsewhere in the world, but South Carolina has a low crime rate - here, people don't worry about getting arrested for breaking and entering ... here, they worry about getting shot for it.

JoeJoe
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Rikbrooks, take one or two more outfits with you. After you are finish recording in one area, change outfits and try another area. When everything is edited, it looks more as if you do it on a professional level, if you are using it as a promo video.

The big crowds will have the worse audio. Show the big crowds anyway. Try and get the audience reactions to your performance. Those parts can be use as the dvd comes on with music playing over the crowd.

For the smaller crowds, try and capture the audio also because the camcorder can be closer to you with less interference.

Have the camcorder operator bring a short step ladder or something similiar so he/she can stand on it to view over the crowd's heads to see you.

Have a small digital audio recorder in your shirt pocket to record your voice over the audience voices. The sounds can be edited to the camcorder for better sounds of your voice.

First try an area which is not much noticable. The camcorder operator will be getting more practice on what to look out for. Another place to record is in front of a store. Ask permission from a manager requesting you are bringing them publicity for free.

I don't know what the law is like over there, but I would try it on heavy crowed streets also..
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 15:44, JoeJoe wrote:
Ric: if you have a camera man, you should easily be able to get very usable footage - I've literally just handed my camera to people on the street and asked them to film me and have got great footage. And mine is an older camera without a working view finder. I can't imagine you would need a permit for someone holding a camera, maybe with a tripod but not with a camera man.

Mandrake: Nope - I never worry about anyone stealing anything, I find it unproductive. Maybe things are diffent elsewhere in the world, but South Carolina has a low crime rate - here, people don't worry about getting arrested for breaking and entering ... here, they worry about getting shot for it.

JoeJoe

I wasn't thinking "breaking and entering" so much as I was you're out on the street, you have a camera some odd feet from you, you're focusing on your audience. What's to stop some low-life from running by and grabbing the camera and running for it?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
root666
View Profile
New user
closing in
5 Posts

Profile of root666
Dynamike's right about the costume change, convey's the idea you work regularly, who knows how people might see that...experienced, seasoned, professional...

Think you might be able to use multiple camera's as well?? When you sit down to edit together your promo, there's a chance a shot you really want to use isn't clean and exposes some part of your working method. Having a second clip to cut to can only make the final product that much more appealing.

So far as worrying whether or not you need permits...if everyone around you is generally enjoying themselves, there's so much the world around you will allow for.

Any chance you'd post some footage for us in time?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
That is wonderful advice about the change in clothes. I'll do that, thanks.

I'm not a street worker. I do some street magic from time to time but I don't pass a hat. I just want to get some street magic footage this weekend because I don't have a performance for another couple of weeks and I want to train the camera man before the indoor performance.

I'll post some footage though. Of course I don't do anything that you guys haven't seen. I do cups and balls, linking rings, sponge balls,etc.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 11:18, JoeJoe wrote:
With over 100 hours of footage, I have maybe 10 usable minutes of anything decent.

I think I'd be happy with those numbers. Outdoor shows are the worst to film. I have a videographer friend who shot my show nearly every night for a month last October, and there was almost always some glitch due to the environment. He shot several other shows for me in addition, so it wasn't that we were not trying to get something in the can. We figured volume would produce results.

If you got 10 minutes that you are happy with, then the whole process was worth it. I assume you intend to use that footage for promo, because even the lousy shots are good enough for self-evaluation. For promo footage, 10 minutes is more than you'll ever need at one time.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
All great advice Dynamike! And don't forget close-ups ... you could film one show as a medium shot, then film the next show closeup, or (what I do) after the filming of the show, repeat your act for the camera to get the closeups.

These are important for editing, you have the medium shot ... then, just as you are about to do the magic you cut into the closeup ... after the effect, cut back to the medium shot. Or, you could do the medium shot ... then cut to the closeup ... then cut to another shot with the audience reaction.

The idea is to get lots of footage from differnt angels so you have the most to work with.

Michael: yes. I am happy with the footage I did get ... but I did expect to get more. I didn't realize the problems I would encounter, but now that I'm aware of them it will be easier to work around them. Still, I've managed to get several videos out of it. Smile

JoeJoe
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Here's a helpful hint guys. Go to your local access TV station (if you have one near) and tell them you want to learn to use the equipment. They will taech you, certify you, and let you use the equipment for FREE. Yep, that's right. FREE.
If they have editing capabilities, you can learn that as well. Once you take take the courses, get the footage, and do the editing, run your show over cable public access and you get some great exposure as well as some great footage for yourself!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 13:06, BAH1313 wrote:
Here's a helpful hint guys. Go to your local access TV station (if you have one near) and tell them you want to learn to use the equipment. They will taech you, certify you, and let you use the equipment for FREE. Yep, that's right. FREE.
If they have editing capabilities, you can learn that as well. Once you take take the courses, get the footage, and do the editing, run your show over cable public access and you get some great exposure as well as some great footage for yourself!

Brilliant! Thanks!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Filming street performances (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL