The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Using magic to help induce hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheInvisibleMan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TheInvisibleMan
Maybe a strange question, but have you ever used magic to aid you in putting someone into a trance?

It would seem that if one is performing magic to someone you are establishing a rapport with them, you are focusing their attention and are in a way guiding their thoughts. Therefore you are almost inducing a mild form of trance?!

What do you think of this, and indeed have any of you tried it?

TIM
Bruno
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Bruno
Tim,
The fact is that anything you do that engages anothers attention creates an altered state that may be called a trance. The more engaging you are the deeper the trance, whether you are doing magic or simply telling a story.The classic effect of hypnotising a chicken with a line of chalk drawn on the floor in front of its beak is a crude but accurate example of how instantly trance states can be induced.There really is no need for theatrics or ceremony as even the words" Listen to me" are enough when delivered in the appropriate pitch, tempo and tone. Communication is about exchange of information and that requires an attitude of literal open mindedness. Once you establish a line of communication with another a collective experience is created which is the melding of consciousness and can lead to vulnerability. Trance is better described as hyper and focused awareness with minimal edits rather than a state of dull wit. So in answer to your question, yes I induce trance in others eveyday just like everyone else.
Interesting question.
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
What is meant by trance and altered state?

Kevin
The Janitor
View Profile
New user
UK
8 Posts

Profile of The Janitor
It seems to me that inducing the "trance/altered state" on a person (whatever that may be) depends greatly on that person's belief in your ability to do so. If they beleive that you can do it then it will be easier to do.

If you can use magic to strengthen their belief in your abilities then surely this will make the induction process easier/faster/deeper.
TheInvisibleMan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Kevin:

Trance is typically the name given to any state of mind where that person has a narrow focus of attention.

Everyone goes in and out of trance all through the day. When you day dream you enter a light state of trance. Often when you are performing automated tasks (ie. driving a car) you enter a trance state. You can become so absorbed in your internal thoughts that you almost lose awareness of your external world.

In hypnosis, a trance state is delibrately induced in a person using all sorts of methods, but primarily using verbal suggestion.

Perhaps you might like to have a look at http://www.deep-trance.com/ .

I hope this helps explain what a trance state is.

TIM

Bruno/The Janitor:

Thank you for your answers and ideas. I find this quite an intriguing question and I am currently improving my communication and rapport skills to help guide my spectators into light trance states when I am performing to them.

Once I have established a light trance state in my spectators (and indeed in myself in a way) I can more easily direct and maintain their attention. I can also misdirect their attention more effectively.

TIM
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
InvisibleMan,

I highly recommend the book Trance-Formations by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. It's out of print, but you can usually find a copy on eBay for around $75. It's a fantastic book on Ericksonian (indirect) hypnosis.

-Richard
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Quote:
On 2002-11-23 06:07, rrubin98 wrote:
InvisibleMan,

I highly recommend the book Trance-Formations by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. It's out of print, but you can usually find a copy on eBay for around $75. It's a fantastic book on Ericksonian (indirect) hypnosis.

-Richard

It cost me about $12 it is a good book but not the only one out there. go to this site there lots of hypnosis/nlp products. http://www.anglo-american.co.uk

I have used palm reading to transition into hypnosis. Also guessing which hand a coin is in. In fact there are many mentalism effects that could be used to transition into hypnosis. Whenever you ask someone to picture something clear in their mind; someones name, a place or a drawing they have made you are to a certain extent inducing trance. With the iright kind of suggestions it would be possible to induce something more substantial.

For example...asking someone to picture their favourate holiday spot will put theminto a relaxed state and open their minds to further suggestions.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Tim,
I've heard Docc Hilford's ball and tube routine purports to do just that, induce trance with magic. You may wish to check it out.

PK,
You'll probably get more mileage out of the term "other than normal" state of consciousness rather than "altered" when speaking about hypnosis. Altered implies that the operator has changed your thought process somehow and, therefore, intimates a sense of control.

These states go well beyond mere trance states and would include lucid dreaming, sensory deprovation (a truly altered state), drug induced states, and "deep" hypnosis.
Yakworld.
TheRetainer
View Profile
New user
England
31 Posts

Profile of TheRetainer
I'm not sure about inducing a trance, but I'm sure we've all seen some performances that could induce sleep Smile . Seriously, this is a very interesting topic. The links posted by TheInvisibleMan and shrink are well worth checking out too.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

-- Robert Louis Stevenson
TheInvisibleMan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Richard: Thanks for the recommendation of Trance-Formations. I have heard many good things about this book before and I shall keep my eyes open for a copy of it.

Shrink: Thank you for the link to the Anglo American company. Great site. Smile

Burt: Thanks for the info on Docc Hilford's ball and tube routine. I've had a look on the web and have found out more about it. Looks very interesting. Smile
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello All:

Docc Hilfordïs "Ball & Tube" is more than GREAT! Try it out and you`ll see for yourself!

ESPecially
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
DeadDave
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
176 Posts

Profile of DeadDave
I know that this is an old thread, but...

Using Docc Hilford's "Ball and Tube" book I was able to induce a mild hypnotic state the very first time I tried! My understanding is that it is more difficult to induce someone who knows you well. It worked great on my wife of nearly ten years...

After using the routine in the book (which BTW, she has seen before) I suggested that she place her hand on the table top and that she would be unable to remove it. I kept up a steady patter and suggested that she try to remove her hand, she could not. I then suggested that on the count of three, she would be able to remove her hand, but at the cost of forgetting her first name. One, two, three...hand comes up, I ask her first name. She has no idea.

I cannot believe that it worked! We were both amazed. She was really determined to tell me her name before I asked her, but could not when the time came.

I can't recommend the booklet highly enough!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2002-11-18 15:57, TheInvisibleMan wrote:
Maybe a strange question, but have you ever used magic to aid you in putting someone into a trance?

A couple of months ago, someone mooted the idea of using some of the priming stuff in Naked Mentalism as a convincer when pacing and leading. The idea was to show the subject how her thoughts were becoming predictable, as well as physical responses altering, as trance takes hold. I don't know if it as ever followed up, but it should be viable, however.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Using magic to help induce hypnosis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL