The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » It Finally Happened (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
The company I work for had a meeting in Florida over the weekend. After lunch, they were having trouble getting a few things ready, so my boss asked me if I had my cards and would do a trick until they were ready. I did and went up to perform Devestation, from Geoff Williams' Magic for Mortals DVD. It went over well.

The next night, after the supper, one of my colleagues asked if I could do the same trick for his wife. I didn't have my cards with me, but I always have my Scotch and Soda and Hopping Halves with me.

I explained I didn't have my cards, but I would do a few coin effects if they would like. They went over well. We talked a little then I got the fever and went and bought a new deck of cards at the hotel store. I showed up and unwrapped the deck in front of my audience. At this time, there were a few other people that gathered around the table to watch. All together, I think there were about 10-12 audience members.

I shuffled the deck while they were engaged in conversation, and when it got quiet, I asked if they would like to see the effect I did earlier. The audience was mixed of my collegues and some of their wives. I got the go ahead and performed Devastation again, which still got great responses. I went into Martin Gardner's poker deal, which went over well. We talked alittle more and then another effect came to mind. I can't remember the name of it, but I had someone choose a card, place the card on top, cut the deck a few times and spread the deck face up. Using my "divining powers", had them grab my wrist and from their thoughts alone, my finger fell on their card. If you can help with the name of this trick, please let me know.

From osmosis of reading all the great tips from the Café', I was joking, looking at everyone at the right ime, doing the dirty work on the offbeat, and it went over well. I then did a very short ambitious card routine which was great for me as I am still practicing the needed slieghts, but I think the controlled direction of my audience seemed to help out a lot.

A lot of compliments came my way, as did a few questions and so on. I was trying to remember a few other impromptu effects, but some of the things I know, I either didn't perform well enough for my satisfaction, or couldn't find the right props. Then the salt shaker through table under the guise of quarter through table hit me and went over real well, "NO" from Michael Finny's DVD was fun to perform. Lot's of laughs. They were all having a good time.

I stuck my hand in my pocket and found I also had Pyro Perception. I don't think this night could have gotten any better. I shuffled the cards a number of times till the right card was controlled to the top, and got a little serious with this effect. it went over just a good as the rest, in fact, one of the guys had me stick my fingers in water as they were blistered and he was worried it might get worse. It was great.

I guess this is why I keep a few effects on me at all times, even if I'm not sure when/if I'll perform.

I found out later the president of our company was also watching and told me I was one heck of an entertainer. That was music to my ears. now I'm working on a few more to hopefully be able to perform more and different effects.

Thanks for Listening.

Patrick
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds like you went over perfectly.

CONGRADULATIONS!!!

it is fun the first time it happens. I am glad your first experience was so positive. It is quite encouraging and keeps you going.

Nice to see that you know when to stop and wait till you are encouraged to start.

Again congradulations and keep on keepin on buddy, sounds like your gonna be fine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Thanks Danny...it was my first impromptu and wasn't sure how bad I was going to mess up...I don't think I did though. It was nice to hear the hecklers - Watch his other hand - and so on and just ignore them. They were trying to be smart as we work together a lot, but nothing got out of hand. Even the few times I thought I flashed or messed up...kept on going as if nothing ever happened. The bottom line was entertainment, and I think I did. Thanks again. Now it makes me want to get off my tush and practice some more and be ready for the next time it happens. Especially the card on ceiling as there was at least one request for that one. Take care for now.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
You made magic, entertain collegues and wive, impress the president of the company, you had fun with that... Way to go, Patrick!
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
When a heckler shouts watch his other hand reply,,.yeah you watch my other hand the rest of you watch the magic..and later I'll ask him to watch over our cars while we have more fun'
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Thanks for the boost. I'm not a "klnuckle-buster" and my ability is a little basic for what I know, but I figured if I stayed with the fun, light stuff and didn't have to think too much, it would work out. One of the guys from work told me that if my intention was to entertain and have fun, I definitely succeeded. Words that are music to my ears. As I said before, now I want to broaden my abilities and I think I have the itch to get a little more serious about it.

Thanks again for your input, and take care,

Patrick
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Congrats! Keep soaring!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
There is a valuable lesson here: Always be prepared to do something, even if it's small. Good show having S&S and HH with you Patrick! You never know who's out there in the audience who might be worth while to really leave an impression upon!
I usually always carry my pen thru dollar, a flipper half dollar, and the ID or Kids Kards. They've served me well in a tight spot!
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I always carry a deck of cards and a list of impromptu card tricks I know (seriously). If I have to remember one on the fly, the paper is worth (a lot more than its) weight in gold.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Great idea, Toaster! There have been dozens of times I would have liked to do another trick, but couldn't think of one. I'm going to start carrying a printed list. (I actually have a list of tricks I can do on the computer already - I'm amazed I've never thought of printing it out to carry with me!) It shouldn't be too hard to take a peek and get back on track.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Leppy, way to go, and it sounds like you were tracking your audience's interest, so you were able to use the momentum while it was with you and stop at the right times (something I had a HARD time learning!)
Leave 'em wanting more!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Great story. "Always be prepared" doubles for magicians too (more than Boy Scouts!!)

Happy for you Smile

Monte
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Congrats,

Allways a good feeling when you get asked to do a trick and it ends up being a whole show for many people. Especially when you do each trick correctly.

Good job,

Spencer
'Pick a card, any card'
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Right on man! It sounds like you really took them for a ride! I hope you get many more chances to do stuff like that again. Keep up the good work and the great attitude about it and it will just come to you.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Very nice! I bet it felt great (especially when the president commented on your performance).

Quote:
On 2006-02-02 09:45, Leppy wrote:
I can't remember the name of it, but I had someone choose a card, place the card on top, cut the deck a few times and spread the deck face up. Using my "divining powers", had them grab my wrist and from their thoughts alone, my finger fell on their card. If you can help with the name of this trick, please let me know.

I think the trick you described is Harry Lorayne's Pencil Trick.
chrisgq
View Profile
New user
WV/Florida
58 Posts

Profile of chrisgq
Awsome story! Sounds like you had a lot of fun as well as your colleagues.
Leppy
View Profile
Regular user
Eden Prairie, MN
161 Posts

Profile of Leppy
Thanks again for all the positive feedback. We had a Christmas dinner and again, I had a few things with me. Keeping it simple and short proved to be a good way to go again. I think the two that killed the most were the 3 1/2 clubs and the Ghost Disk.

With the Ghost Disk, I had a couple "choose" their cards and used a story about scrying to get into the revelation beofre their eyes. I mixed up who had which card and the revelation was for the wrong person, however, because they were a couple, this was a perfect example of how they were meant for each other; they were in each others minds so much, that there was a sense of minds entertwining. It worked!

I'm not sure where I pulled that from, but I think I need to keep it close in case I need to pull from there again.
Cardinal Bunal
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Cardinal Bunal
Congrats...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » It Finally Happened (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL