The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles and little hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RobertoM
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of RobertoM
I want begin manipulate with thimbles, but I have my fingers very little.
Someone have some ideas how I can stop the thimbles on my fingers because they is too much wide for my fingers?
Thanks in advance.
Roberto.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you mean the thimbles are LOOSE and fall off your fingers easily? If so, you might want to try putting adhesive tape on the inside, or even wood filler and shape it to your fingers.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RobertoM
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of RobertoM
Yes, I mean that, but I have a poor english....
The thimbles are loose loose and fall always.
But if I use the adhesive tape, it's awkward perform the thumb palm?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The tape goes on inside of thimbles not on your fingers. Can you find someone to custom make thimbles to fit your fingers?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Pete is right.
I put colored electrical tape to match an old set of Sam Berland thimbles upon which I learned the moves way back in ....well, a good while ago...the electical tape has a "give" to it and it worked really well. You may also want to try painting a little bit of liquid latex (the kind you can buy at a halloween store with cheap makeup stuff) into the interior. It has a nice "grip" effect too but will need tending and replacing. Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Silvernail
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Silvernail
I personally don't like thimbles much. Performing with them, I get people that go, WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS??? Most of the thimble sets these days don't look anything like thimbles either. I prefer billiard balls, or candles.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I too have small fingers, and use metal thimbles from a sewing shop.
They come in different sizes and will nest easily.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2006-02-20 15:48, Silvernail wrote:
I personally don't like thimbles much. Performing with them, I get people that go, WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS??? Most of the thimble sets these days don't look anything like thimbles either. I prefer billiard balls, or candles.

You must not perform thimbles very well. I get great reactions and much later, people tell me that the thimbles really blew their minds. No one has ever said. "What are those things?" Is this really your experience or just your speculative opinion?

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I personally don't like thimbles because I feel they're too small for stage use; the audience can't clearly see what you're working with. Another consideration is that they're becoming slightly more of a "foreign object", since fewer people have time to sew these days. This can lessen the impact of working with an object commonly found around the house. Because of this, I'd keep it as close to the original object as possible- take eddieloughran's advice, use metal thimbles from a sewing shop, in a small enough size to fit your fingers.

Hmmm, though that leads me off on a bit of a tangent- has anyone ever used the larger "collectable" type thimbles in a routine? The ones about the size of a shot glass? I think there might be a few possibilities with these, since they can be palmed in a similiar manner to billiard balls...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 12:05, EsnRedshirt wrote:
I personally don't like thimbles ......they're becoming slightly more of a "foreign object", since fewer people have time to sew these days. This can lessen the impact of working with an object commonly found around the house....

This is a myth that keeps being regurgitated every time the thimble subject comes up. I open my platform and close-up with some thimble manipulation while I chat with the audience about sleight-of-hand. In the past couple of months, I have done thimbles for a group of boys aged 12 to 15 and a group of couples aged 18 to 22. I say, "Do you know what these are?" They nod yes and some say "thimbles" out loud. This is in spite of the fact that I am using large, brightly colored plastic magicians' thinbles such as the Vernet or the Automatic.

I teach a lot of young college students and, out of curiosity about sociological changes, I ask them things like, "How many of you carry a hankerchief?" (answer: zero).

But, the notion that younger generations don't know what thimbles are is hogwash. They do know.

I remember a few years ago, a lot of magicians were worried that younger generations were losing awareness of cards and didn't know one card from another. Well, the explosive popularity of poker has taken care of that one.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles and little hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL