The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » English Pennies & Half Dollars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm working on some patter for a routine.

What I need to know is:

What years did the production of the English Pennies, that we use in magic, begin and end production? I've read that these have not been legal temder since 1971.

When did of Half Dollars w/ copper centers begin? 1965?

Thanks.
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Hi Jaz

Only a partial answer…I am pretty sure the last English penny was minted in 1967. I do have several from the 1800’s.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks MoonBeam
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Silver Kennedy halves (90% silver/10% copper) were minted in 1964. From 1965-1970, they were silver clad (80% silver/20% copper outer layer bonded to 20% silver/80% copper core). The copper-nickel clad variety (75% copper/25% nickel outer layer bonded to 100% copper core) was first minted in 1971. That composition continues to present.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Moonbeam is correct. The last date of issue for large English pennies was 1967. I believe they were first minted in 1797, but I'm not 100% certain about that.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Thanks all.
I've found what I needed for the routine patter.
I've stretched the truth a bit. Here:

"Did you know that before 1965 half dollars were about 90% silver? Around that time silver was becoming scarce and it was decided that the coins had to be changed. It was decided that by using another metal and plating them in silver would be more cost efficient.

Ironically, it was also around this time that Britain had begun producing large amounts of copper pennies which were about the same size as the American half dollars and would begin circulation in 1967.
The U.S. saw a solution and bought huge amounts of these English pennies and made the new half dollars.
In 1971 Britain declared that these English pennies were no longer be legal tender"
----------
The basic effect, Which I'm still mulling over, is that a half $ is shown and then the silver is removed showing a piece of silver and an English penny.
I also want to reverse the procedure.

Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » English Pennies & Half Dollars (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL