The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A quick hello to everyone and a question if I may? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the-robot-that-cannot-die
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of the-robot-that-cannot-die
Hello, I have given a more detailed explanation of me in the "introductions" section of the website. basically I'm 25years old, and have been into mentalism for 6 years I first started out in magic when I was 14 and have studied and consumed as much as I could in that time.

I recently did my first paid show in front of approx 150 people and the feedback I got was good, although I didn't feel I did everything right. I got a friend to video the show so we could evaluate it afterwards. I have to admit though I was nervous before I got up on stage, I almost felt sick. is there anyone out there who can give me any advice on how to not feel so sick!? haha Smile

my set list for the show was:

1: swami opener (prediction of a ladys weekly shopping bill) (with pseudo explanation)
2. add a no. )4 spects write "made up" weekly shopping bills and they match "my weekly bill" using out to lunch principle
3.Drawing duplication (stage version of sneak theif)
4.A watch routine (similiar to richard osterlinds but with a few more pointers from bev bergeron and a bit of myself)
5.human deck of cards #(where the audience shuffles themselves - an idea by james biss)
6.murder in mind (dual reality effect created by a friend of mine used with his permission)

thanks everyone
Robot
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Yep - get Chuck Hickok's books, Weber's Maximum Entertainment, and anything that teaches the cognitive skill or metathinking that what you are feeling is excitement vs. fear - that you are so excitied to demo - the physioloigcal feelings between and anxiety and excitement are very similar - just reframe the meaning of the feeling in your head and you'll be fine..

And just keep doing and eventually it goes away anyway!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jon Hackett
View Profile
Special user
UK
737 Posts

Profile of Jon Hackett
As well as performing I do a lot of acting as well, and every time I go out on stage for what ever reason (which is something like weekly now-a-day's) I still gte that same thing.

Yes the more you do that act, the less you'll feel it as nerves, and the more you will see it as adrenaline, but either way, you will always get an intense feeling, like a rushing of power through your blood.

My tip is now you've felt it, you know exactly what it will feel like next time, so when you feel it next, close your eyes, take a big deep breathe in through your noes and start psyching yourself up to show everyone whatr you can do with that power that your feeling. Then go out on stage and do it.

Also I normally have an amaretto on the rocks before I go out too.

Jon Hackett

P.S.
It was someone like Osterlind (i can definitely recall) that suggested when you open yor show you open with a Bank Night routine. And the winning envelope has a note in it Smile and he suggested you remember the exact serial number of it. The when you walk out you ask someone to remember the serial number after explaining what is about to happen, this is quite funny, but when you reveal the note, someone can check the note and it is the same nummber, nothing special(!) but makes the audience think you are meticulous, and takes your mind of the show right near the begining!
It is not the brains that matter most, but that which guides them -- the character, the heart, generous qualities and progressive ideas. Doystoyevsky
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
1) Mentalism is not as easy as it seems. You have to be credible. Some performers point that madurity is good for the mental character. You have to have something to say, to transmit. If you only perform the stunts, magic is better.
2)Look for books with theory like the Bob Cassidy's Acting-it and Stagging-it (also the ones recomended in the previous posts)
3)Do you can improve your act in any way?.Music, pattern, humor, audience participation...
4)At the begginig you'll feel disoriented untill you will find what goes better with you and what the audience enjoys.
5)Remeber is your first show. (I would like to see the very first shows of those with Video and DVD series arround Smile)
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
In addition to Chuck Hickok's, Ken Weber's and Richard Osterlind's writing on the subject, you will find valuable techniques in Steve Cohen's Wind the Crowd. There's a chapter of the book that deals specifically with stage fright and relaxation techniques.
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-09 14:00, Fred Berthelot wrote:
In addition to Chuck Hickok's, Ken Weber's and Richard Osterlind's writing on the subject, you will find valuable techniques in Steve Cohen's Wind the Crowd. There's a chapter of the book that deals specifically with stage fright and relaxation techniques.

I have been told about this book before but couldn't find it anywhere. I will re look, I also hear that marc salem says that fear and excitiment are essentially the same its the way we interpret that feeling internally that results in the external feeling. I will try and convince myself that in future Smile

thanks for your other suggestions I have chucks first book not the second though and also have the said cassidy material. thanks again

robot
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
And we also foget mention one thing:
How did you set your performance? Where was the place, light conditions, sound system, visibility etc.? Wich kind of people where watching you and wich kind of atention and concentration they had?, How was the rythm of the show?, etc.
And f course, a little of excitement is good for be awake and alive on stage.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Try Googleing "WIN the Crowd". Best.

Rich
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Anyone who tells you that they don't feel a little bit of anxiety before a show, is either lying or doesn't have a pulse. Use that energy, and feed off of it. Don't let it debilitate you, like the guys said; it's all about how you frame it in your mind.
xxx
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-10 04:35, Dario wrote:
And we also foget mention one thing:
How did you set your performance? Where was the place, light conditions, sound system, visibility etc.? Wich kind of people where watching you and wich kind of atention and concentration they had?, How was the rythm of the show?, etc.
And f course, a little of excitement is good for be awake and alive on stage.

the place was in a function hall, lighting conditions were bright on stage, subtle for the audience. I went before hand to get a look around and chck things were ok. there was a wide mix of people mostly coupls from hard working class backgrounds. the rythym was built up (with exception of the opening effect) I was like I always am, upbeat and serious with a sprinkling of light heartedness and smiles Smile

thanks again!
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
First off let me start by saying I have a really really weak stomach. Although I have never thrown up before a performance I have come within inches. The amazing thing is the second I am introduced all those nerves becomes an energy that I feed off. It is really a rush! It does not matter how easy the effect is and how many times I perform it before I walk out I have to fight my nerves. Like others have said use it to your advantage. Don't let it consume you or your show will take the ultimate hit.
gdomeier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gdomeier
You could try belly breathing exercises from a book called "New Talkpower: The Mind-Body Way to Speak Without Fear". It's available on amazon.com

They are excellend for controlling adrenalin rushes. There are also public speaking performance tips that are applicable as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A quick hello to everyone and a question if I may? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL