The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Appearing Pole (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi:

Just curious if anyone uses anything like this in their kid's show...specifically, have you ever used it in someone's home? My big question is with people around...how do you get cover to pack it back up?

--Jon
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Jon,

I have used it in stage and parlour settings but never in a home. If I were considering using one for parties in people's homes, I would definitly get a shorter one. Mine is nearly 8' and that would be too long for a low ceiling. I think you can get these in 4' to 6' lengths in various types. I believe they make some about 4' as appearing pencils and straws, etc.

As far as the cover to pack it up, I'm not sure. I am sure that there will be others who have done this in party settings that can suggest some ideas, but I have never tried it. On stage, I always set it upright, leaned very slightly against a back corner of the stage.

Wish I could offer more help.

Regan
Mister Mystery
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
I've done it in somebody's home and it's not worth it. It hit the ceiling and I rolled it back up once I got to my car. If you are going to do it, I agree with Regan, cut it down.
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Jon,

I perform the appearing straw at home birthday parties quite often and it always gets a great reaction. I have both the straw and the pole and both are under 8 foot. I'm often asked how I get this back into the bag and I tell them "very carefully!". I wait until afer the show and all eyes are gazing in another direction and casually 'vanish' it with my back turned...or I wait and 'vanish' it when I get to the car.

I'm continually amazed at how the appearance of the straw is received. Even after producing a live dove out of a torn piece of paper, people will later ask me, "It's amazing..how in the world did you get that straw into that little bag?" It just reaffirms the fact that we magicians see things from a different perspective.

Andrew
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Jon,

I use the appearing straw in all of my kid shows (stage, living rooms ... everywhere) and it plays great every time. Mine is over 8'. I put a little piece of Velcro tape at one end to help reset quickly. I usually carry it out intact unless conditions are prohibitive.

Dan.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I too have used it in many Home shows. Just watch the ceiling and pull it out at an angle if need be. I've never hit even the lowest of ceilings withit. as for getting it out of the house. I genrally just carry it out expanded. I've never had a problem with it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MagicRabbit
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of MagicRabbit
Same here, it's even FUNNIER when the celings are low. I will release my routine here one day when I'm done with it. I am not a bragger, but my routine has the kids & adults in stitches. This is one of the greatest props I own, because of routine.

As I am leaving with the thing akwardly in my arms, I'll ask the adults if they, "know how to fit this thing into a Pinto?"
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
If I would use it in somebody's home I'd be afraid the kids come up and get their hands on it. They sit so close by already and (with no bad attempt) they want to touch everything all the time. How do you handel this? I usally stick to tricks that they can touch afterwards, or that I can put away (out of seight) quickly after showing it.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Even when they touch it, they never put it all together. I put mine behind everything after using it. I may move it later in my performance so it is not in view as long.

Dan.
Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
114 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
Never used this but I do use the Appearing Broom which is smaller. I do it right after the Square Circle where one of the production items is a hat coil which makes a big mess on the floor.

Cheers,
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I love this effect, and have gone through a few appearing poles. They don't last me very long, though; the ends begin to crack Any suggestions on appearing poles that are long-lasting?
By the way, you can find a mini-version of these at any Dollar store: those plastic shower-curtain covers. Good for house parties.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-02-16 18:21, todsky wrote:
I love this effect, and have gone through a few appearing poles. They don't last me very long, though; the ends begin to crack Any suggestions on appearing poles that are long-lasting?
By the way, you can find a mini-version of these at any Dollar store: those plastic shower-curtain covers. Good for house parties.

I make my own now and run a piece of strapping along the top and bottom edge before applying the final covering. This has cut down the cracking immensely
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I use an appearing shovel which I retrieve from my "purse". I haven't used it at home parties however. Good question - regarding what suggestions people come up with regarding how to carry the item out. I haven't used it at home parties as I immediately put all my items away, then make balloon animals for the kids and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it out in the open. Any more ideas from this talented group?

Chrystal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Appearing Pole (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL