The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Roth prop found (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
For years I have been looking for the little metal globe pencil sharpener,used in david roth's coin routine. I had only found one in an antique shop for $40(no way). I HAVE NOW FOUND A SUPPLY AT A STORE CALLED FIVE BELOW.tThe cost is $1.
They are aluminium not steel .you have to be careful not to bend them when seperating the two halves.
They are made by a company called A&W. The company is located in Port Jervis NY.12771on the package it says Globe pencil sharpener item no.41101.I hope this helps anyone else wanting the prop. Glenn
http://www.awproducts.com/awx/lvl4.aspx?......&c=6
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That's the start of the journey. They come up in lots of 12, 24, 36 on ebaY and elsewhere if you look. The batch I got came from China ST-SHGLO. no item number on box but bar code is: 9723861805. Wait till you try getting the thing to nest un-nest nicely. Can be frustrating.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
Great now that we have a place to get the globes, where can we get the inner workings for the clips to hold the coins? That's the real mystery, at least on my end. Cheers,

Bill
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Just curious: If the aluminum tends to bend, could it be reinforced with a polyurathane or some other coating? It might even make the finish last longer if you coated the outside of the globe as well.
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
I intend to fill the hollow center with modelimg clay that has hardened.This will strengthen the globe and make a holder for the coin.I will go to the hobby shop to find the proper clay ,perhaps fimo.The clay must be able to harden or the two halves of the globe will stick togeather.I will also modify the rim of the globe .With a slot for the coin in the top and bottom halves and the plastic holder for the globe I should'nt need the metal rim to hold or align the globe.
Hopefully these modificatioms should facilitate nnesting the globes.provide the inner workings(clip),and strengthen the globe.Glenn
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
What's the effect?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-16 11:42, EscapeMaster wrote:
What's the effect?

Rather than spoil the fun for you, there is a video available of Roth's showpieces, and he might be performing it at conventions. Failing that, there is the Kaufman book David Roth's Expert Coin Magic to learn the thing.
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Quote:
On 2006-02-16 11:42, EscapeMaster wrote:
What's the effect?

You can watch and learn this effect on his "Ultimate Coin Magic Vol. 3"

You can also see it, performed only, on the Coinvention dvds

It's a great trick
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
If you want to reinforce the globe a disc bonded inside as a floor leaving room for waht ever is needed would work. It would be lighter than a more solid solution.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Anyone seen Scotty York's version with a borrowed finger ring? It was strong!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
For the innards, I cut a styrofoam ball in half, carved out a slot for the coins, and covered the top with thin red felt, which also had a slot cut. The result is attractive, lightweight, and durable.

That said, I rarely am in a situation to l*p anything, so I haven't done the routine in several years.

Cheers,
Jerry
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Jerry, folks, do you think folks would enjoy a standup handling for that routine?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Roth should have sold this as a separate item, but even his was specially made for him.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-02-17 07:51, joseph wrote:
Roth should have sold this as a separate item, but even his was specially made for him....

Ouch! Should???

This is one of David's Showpieces. Scotty York made ONE for him and that's what he uses. At the time of the Kaufman book it was expected that one would make what they needed to suit their own needs.

If you want to get tooled up and sell the item ready made, please ask David for manufacturing rights and work something out directly.
billmonroe
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD
181 Posts

Profile of billmonroe
JT,

I think a stand up version would be nice, it's an awesome effect.

Cheers,

Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Roth prop found (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL