The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu Mentalism... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Quote:
On 2006-02-26 19:54, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Nickelby, the difference between books and DVD's is that books require you to THINK. DVD's do not.

Your points are valid and your points will limit you in ways you cannot see.

You need more books.

I don't think its an issue of needing more books. I don't need more books. I could want all the books in the world, but needing them is a different thing. I think at best, the begginer should sit down and read one or two. This is a particularly odd case though, it seems like a performer wanting to add a bit of mental "flare" into his existing magic. Perhaps you should place a spongeball in a spectators hand and ask them to think of a color, then when they open there hand the red spongeball has changed to blue, or maybe think of a number, one spongeball multiplys into 27 little ones! It would be an interesting take on traditional magic. But you will hae to do it right! To add to that list of books however I can reccomend Strong Magic. by Darwin Orowitz (sp?). It will change the way you look at your magic. For the better...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
As far as books take it from Einstein.

Einstein developed the Theory of Relativity simply because he did not read anything, attend any conventions, learn anything from his peers. He even blew off Newtons Time is Absolute theory. This allowed Einstein to develop hiw OWN ideas based from nothing.

Everyother scientist since Newton was stuck on Newton's theory that Time is Absolute so, since they started with that premise, they never made it out of the starting gate. Einstein thought, "What if time ISN'T absolute?" and he started with THAT premise and developed his famous theory.

Einstein claimed that learning from the on-set, youngster, following all the rules, was harmful to the learning process, he was always a rebel anyway.

This theory was proved when, after Einstein's Theory of Relativity, he went on to give speeches and learned more from his peers and at conventions. After this time, while he continued to "get smarter" he never came up with ANY new developments as important as the Relativity Theory. He was strapped with new theorys and rules and got caught in a rut.

So, while I am certainly no Einstein I read plenty of books and must follow in the masters' footsteps, learn their routines and then perform them, eventually, in my own way.

John
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Bev
That is an excellent model for a career in Mentalism
And most other fields
Nice one
TJ
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
The whole point of being a mentalist in my mind is to be intriguing.

Magic is at its best, fascinating. Everyone knows that there must be a logical explanation and that the performer is, at best, very clever and entertaining.

Mentalism strives to add doubt into the equation to create the idea that there may be another explanation for what is occuring than the merely technical.

And so, wonderment and intrigue are born. They are the long forgotten children of Magic, which once was intriguing but gave birth to Conjuring and all wonderment was lost.

Turn a stone into a slightly different colour and make it look difficult. Use the same method as colour changing silks if you like. But if you want people to question reality and its boundaries (which is what all good magic used to do) then do something vaguely plausable and act as if you are doing what you proport do be doing.

Those colour changing silks must be a trick. Not sure about the stones though. Looked pretty real and spooky to me.

Magic nowadays challenges the audience with a series of puzzles which they can then try to solve. Mentalism challenges the audience with a series of ideas which they can think about.

Ideas take on a life of their own and inspire conversation. Puzzles eventually get put on the shelf next to a dusty Rubiks Cube and get forgotten about.

Trade in ideas. You'll be remembered far longer.

Rant over.

Bev
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Bev:That's hardly a rant.Like most of your posts there is a'understandable'message,that I personally appreciate.Thank-you.

Rich
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2006-02-24 23:41, Bill Fienning wrote:
Mentalists are not like (some) magicians. We must be careful not to alienate the audience because without their cooperation, we don't have a show. Performers who belittle their audience or try to be funny at the expense of the spectator helping them, are doomed to failure as a successful mentalist.

There is a very big difference between mental magic and mentalism. Anyone planning to do mentalism must (and I mean must) understand this difference.

Watch some videos of successful mentalists, not to steal their act, but to understand their rapport with the audience.

I have been a bizarrist for many years, doing some impromptu mentalism as well. More recently, I am moving more into mentalism (fewer props to carry!). By virtue of these interests, I have been a member of the Psychic Entertainers Association for several years.

Not complaining about Nickleby's attitude toward magicians, I understand this with most magicians... but the statement by Bill is dead on, totally on the mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu Mentalism... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL