The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » [Video] please tell me what you think of it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I know my hands are terrible-looking and I know sometimes they get out of view, but please tell me what you think.

http://www.radioactive-lizard.com/files/MagicX.wmv
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Your technique's clean in most cases (work on Matrix, though). What comes to mind is much(!) less(!) and slower movements. The color changing chips is just one example. Hey, it's just chips! The effect can be very strong and visual if you don't wave about with your hands all the time.

You can do the chips for one more year, but after a certain age, we just don't work with "brass gimmicks" any more ;-)

And: never, ever "point" with your fingers!

Keep it up, good stuff,
C.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Thanks for your advices, what part should I work on in my matrix ?

And what did you mean by "What comes to mind is much(!) less(!)" ?
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
Xargos, the video is great in my opinion. A few of the effects need practice, but then again nothing is ever so perfect that practice is not necessary!

And Christof, I'm not sure about never ever "pointing". If you mean pointing in an overly obvious way that screams "Look at my finger, it's pointing!" then I agree with you. But a quick natural looking point adds greatly to misdirection in my opinion as long as it's not overused.

Xargos, keep up the good work!
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Understood the "What comes to mind is much(!) less(!)" part ... I was just distracted by the (!)
Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
I really like your video.
I think what you need to practise I smotheness.but hey we nevere get as smoth as we whant.
Good look.
Oh by the way I no this isn't constructive a all but what is the music you use in this video.
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Technically, the moves were good. But that's only part of the presentation. Much of the entertainment value, the misdirection and even the magic comes from the patter you present with the tricks. Unfortunately, this often tends to be the weakest link in the chain for many new magicians. I would have loved to hear your patter and presentation for these effects as well as viewing your technical proficiency.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Yeah but you wouldn't have understood my french Smile

The music is Alan Stivell "Back to Breizh"
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
You have considerably nimble fingers for a guy who does heavy mechanical work. Smile

Regards,

-jjg
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Nice video man. I enjoyed it. like the guys said , you need to work on the technique of the matrix effect. you should work on your gesturing a lot. look at other magicians do it and then practice in front of a mirror. you tend to overact and that isn't good at all for your act. be natural , loose and try to do everything smoothly.
best of luck to you

-Matt

p.s. I liked the little lighter routine Smile
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Nice video. Very good I liked the music and I think that is what intreged me. better then my videos but hey ive never made ne lol. Please update us on when you have made another video to share with us. Thankyou
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Relax, your moves look very forced, like you are trying to tear the magic out or something. The moves are quite good, but it simply looks forced. Practice til you can do it very relaxed. Being so up tight will make your audience up tight too and suspicious. As you relax I think ur timing will greatly improve. You are doing all the moves just fine, now just practice til you do them relaxed.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Quote:
On 2006-03-02 00:36, photius wrote:
Relax, your moves look very forced, like you are trying to tear the magic out or something. The moves are quite good, but it simply looks forced. Practice til you can do it very relaxed. Being so up tight will make your audience up tight too and suspicious. As you relax I think ur timing will greatly improve. You are doing all the moves just fine, now just practice til you do them relaxed.

I agree on the moves looking very forced, so now that you have Practice the magic, next Practice the moves more relax.
And always keep them smiling with magic.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
I actually was distracted/attracted to the exposed coins during your Matrix(I liked it)! Nice twist with the lighter routine! You are off to a great start, take everything with a grain of salt and post up at magicvideodepot dot com to see other routines and get yours rated.

Jay
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
Your Matrix routine was good....i have to agree that slowing a bit would make it look better....
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
That was a good video. thank you for posting it.

It looks like you are off and running with magic and having fun. Keep up the good work.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
I have to disagree about slowing down the Matrix.

The transpositions look great.

The problem is in the moments after the reveal, when there is an suspicious handling of the cards off screen. Makes it aparent that you are hidding something.
zennomind
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of zennomind
Good job. There are a few constructing suggestions I have.

1. Slow down. You move very fast and it forces your technique not to shine through as much.

2. Show you face. I understand the language barrier if it is present but I like to see who is performing the magic.

3. You take your hands off camera quite a bit, this to a lay person means you could be reaching for something or doing the "trick" where they can not see you. A common mistake I see in webcam style videos.

4. Just relax. You seemed tense in the first few tricks.

Overall, well done. Just think about the points I mentioned and this should help you, I hope.
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
For point number 3 : this video isn't meant to be shown to lay persons so this isn't a problem Smile

for all the other point I agree and will work on this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » [Video] please tell me what you think of it (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL