The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 19:24, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Quote:

Since you have not read the book, I will tell you Jim Steinmeyer pointedly states that this illusion requires a strong performer exuding an air of extreme confidence to succeed, so perhaps it's not for you.

Whoa- easy there. I did not put anyone down with my post, as you just did. [...]

You think that was a "put down"? lol

Are you feeling a little insecure? That was no “put down”; I promise it'll be pretty obvious if I decide to lay a put down on you.

Most skilled performers have established a character for themselves, and those characters can vary greatly. Some are dry-humor funny, some are goofy funny, some are slap-stick funny, some are cartoon funny (think Sylvester). Some are dead-pan serious, some choose to be a caricature of a traditional magician, some incorporate current culture (punk, goth, emo...) into their persona (think Criss Angel). And some (those who do "get" the Wakeling sawing, for example) may have a strong performance character "who exudes an air of extreme confidence” - exactly what Steinmeyer says this particular illusion calls for.

I’ve got a news flash for you, "freefallillusion1", your performance character is not who you really are - nor is it a measure of your self-worth. So go try to grab yourself some security somewhere... and maybe don't read into a post what isn't actually there.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
Then again, who but magicians or magic enthusiasts are going to read about Alan? Just looking at the pictures (if someone even got as far as to look for pictures under the assumption that something was to be exposed in a BIOGRAPHY) couldn't give anyone a clear enough idea without reading.

Still, I understand your point.
But even though he's "exposing" something that he still owns the rights to...
...you couldn't build it without PROPER plans.
Those illustrations only give you a concept of what is supposed to be happening.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Just a point, here.

What everyone now refers to as the "Wakeling Sawing" was actually first performed by Virgil and Julie in 1942. (See my book, The Great Virgil, pgs. 78-79 for photos.)

In the Wakeling book, Jim alludes to the fact that Virgil was working on an "improved" version when he discussed the idea with Alan Wakeling in the 1960's. It is implied in the book that Virgil never built the improved version, but gave it to Alan. Not true. Virgil did build and perform the improved ("thin") version of the Selbit Sawing and later sold his original prop to Mark Evans, who continues to perform it to this day, with his wife, MarLynn.

The big difference between the Virgil and Wakeling versions is that in Virgil's version, EVERYTHING can be examined FREELY by the audience (including the neck and foot restraints.) There is nothing gimmicked.

I think the story got twisted a bit in the book. I knew Alan Wakeling and he was one of magic's true gentlemen - and geniuses.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Think about this.. maybe Jim was doing it to help Helen Wakeling. I know that Alan was not financially set. In fact, two friends of mine helped to support him in his later years. They did it quietly and without fanfare. I would never mention it but it seems that Jim Steinmeyer is under attack here and I do not agree with it. Maybe people should accept that they might not know all the facts.

As for the original edition being reasonably priced. It was very reasonable. If you cannot not afford a $75 book of this quality, you should not be doing magic.

David, very interesting about the Virgil sawing. I will have to dig out my book and reread again. Always learning something I missed the first time or second or third.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Well said Richard! Thanks!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
JS can do as he pleases. It's his book. Personally, I'd like him to make as much money as he can from it, as that will encourage him to continue publishing -- and I like to be able to benefit from his ideas.

Being an original purchaser of the first run, I was disappointed to see it now available to the general public. But the more I thought about it, I came to realize who's gonna buy this book:

1) Magicians. What do I care if magicians have this information?
2) People interested in magic. Wonderful - the more they know, the more they'll enjoy the show. Very few will be spoilers and hecklers.
3) People who buy it to give as a gift to someone else, who will never read it.
4) People who buy it, skim through it, and put it away or throw it away.

Bottom line, it will hurt magicians almost none. In fact, most magicians will NEVER build or use the material in the book. Most of it is theory and advancements of basic methods. The average Joe doesn't care -- it'll bore them. I've used two elements from two pieces of the book. Not entire routines or illusions, but two ideas -- and I think that's a lot.

Look at it this way: most of us wouldn't have this information in the first place if Jim hadn't published it, so who are we to complain?

If it DOES bother you, do what Hulk Hogan did when his daughter had scantily clad pictures in a magazine: go to all the stores and buy every copy!!
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
And now back to the sawing! LOL
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Thomas Wayne-

Question for you. Your profile says you are a prop builder and designer. Do you have a website? Would you happen to be the "Wayne" of the old "Douglas Wayne illusioneering" (forgive my ignorance here, as I may or may not be dead wrong on that- just going by the name). Is there somewhere we can see pictures of your work?

Phil
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 15:30, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Thomas Wayne-

Question for you. Your profile says you are a prop builder and designer. Do you have a website? Would you happen to be the "Wayne" of the old "Douglas Wayne illusioneering" (forgive my ignorance here, as I may or may not be dead wrong on that- just going by the name). Is there somewhere we can see pictures of your work?

Phil

Not related in any way to "Douglas Wayne Illusioneering". Your ignorance is forgiven. Go in peace, my son.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
I have the latest paperback version of "Magic of Alan Wakeling" and the I believe that the Wakeling Sawing is a very deceptive illusion. The addition of spectators as helpers, adds a very important dimension to the Sawing Illusion. I like the concept of the specatators having control of the lady during the actual sawing. I guess very few illusions have this feature. I have personally built Modern Art from Jim Steinmeyer's Modern Art & Other Mysteries. He leaves nothing to chance. Though the building plans of the Wakeling Sawing are not as detailed as Modern Art, any person with decent prop-building skills can definitely do a great job with the available details.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Osborne has the illusion plan for the wakeling sawing.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-06-04 07:44, eb02 wrote:
Osborne has the illusion plan for the wakeling sawing.

Do you have a link? Thanks.
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Thanks !
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Here's a clip of Rick Thomas performing it on the Late Late Show:

Wakeling Sawing

-Bryan
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2007, Bryan Gilles wrote:
Here's a clip of Rick Thomas performing it on the Late Late Show:

Wakeling Sawing

-Bryan

I know this is an old thread, but unfortunately that clip is unavailable. I'd love to see it if anyone has a link!
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
Not Rick Thomas, but here’s a performance by Kalin and Jinger.

https://youtu.be/4lcbk4VcUwQ
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
It’s still on Rick’s YouTube. I love Rick’s performance of the Wakeling Sawing.

https://youtu.be/yQf3s4Ak7NI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wakeling Sawing (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL