The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mathmatic Magic Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Hello!

I am putting together a show with the theme of Mathmagics for children from 7 to 10 years old.

I would like to get some suggestions. I am thinking using the Square to circle wtih a story attached to it. Also, some stories with ropes of different legnths.

Now I am stucked. I don't know what else to include.

Any ideas?

Alejandro.
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
Demonstrate your mastery of math with sponge balls, of course you will constantly miscount so the little ones will have to correct you.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
6 Card/Rope repeat

What's Next/Dubious Dominoe

7-10 year olds should be able to grasp the magic square (especially if you hand them out calculators) though you'd have to put a lot of thought into it to make it fun.

Card tricks/ force using a change bag could be used to demostrate probability. Same goes for the win a fiver game with 6 envelopes or 6 keys and one padlock.

George
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
Cut and restored effects (as large as the zig zag illusion) to speak on fractions.

I have to disagree with Magicgeorge. I would say very few children will be impressed with a magic square effect. Even teens can be so so but get the "trick" more since they are crunching numbers and puzzles in math class. I find adults appreciate it the most since most adults secretly desire such brainpower.

But 7-10 they just do not grasp how uncommon it is to fill in numbers that fast and the outcome has less attachment or meaning to them . So even if they get it, the effect will not be something they will ooh and ahh over especially at age 7
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Thanks for those comments. I think that an effect like the 6 card repeat could be good for them.

Any other ideas?
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
655 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Alejandro,

Have you read any books (or other research) on the math education needs of the age group for which you will be performing?

DD
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
Hi Doc.

I asked a friend of mine who is a teacher to find me the Mathmatic year program. I am waiting for it in order to see what they learn at school.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I know a local magician who is also a high school math teacher. From what I understand he uses magic to teach his class. I'll see if I can track him down and send him to you.
Steve V
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jay Gorham, PNP of the S.A.M., is a retired math teacher (head of the department) AND he used to do a Math Magic show! His e-mail is Jaygorham@cox.net. He is a very sharing person and I'm sure would be happy to reply to a sincere inquiry.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Consider doing a hopping half effect...let's I have two coins and I take away one that leaves....ignore the calls of one and say hang on let me try that again...I have two coins and I take away one so that leaves...ummmm...man math is tricky...I'm going to start again...two coins....take away one that leaves...me still confused so I'm just going to vanish the last coin away and have none...yeah, no more math!

Smartini
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Barry Mitchell has a great routine where his possum pupper and a teacher race to do a sum. The possum is chewing the shape of the numbers out of piece of newspaper. It is is on his DVD

The real question is...

What do you want the kids to get out of it?

Do you want to teach them about math? teach them about why math is important? or just make math seem like fun!

The last one is the most important one to my mind.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
517 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Mier Yedids "Total Destiny".

Its a great prediction effect and it allows the student to add a column of four numbers that match your prediction.

Check it out!

S. Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Mathmatic Magic Show? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL