The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic class magic for K-2 grade (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I've been teaching an enrichemnet program for the last 5 weeks. the program was supposed to end this week but there was a screw up in the scheduling info that was passed on to me and the class will go for another week. I need smething that is cheap and easy for the k-2 grade level. We have all ready done ball and vase, drawer box, color changing silk and the coin slide. Any suggestions?
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Cups and balls.

Do the basic penetrations, no large loads. See the first part of the routine in the Mark Wilson book.

For apparatus, go to a Dollar store and get plastic cups that nest (you could even use those disposable plastic Solo cups). Use small fuzzy pom poms (you can buy in bulk from crafts stores) as the balls. Since the pom poms compress, you don't need a great deal of room between the cups.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This age group loves the coloring book. They will surprise you with how well they will learn a routine.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
What bout the jumping rubberbands? that's a cheap yet effective trick to show off!

Robert
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would recommend the Magic Birthday Class by James Munton...this is something that doesn't have to be only for birthdays...watch this and you'll find out tons of good information and as well the types of effects that work for this setting...basically any simple effect that you can do well and present well
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Yes, I second James' DVD. It has a lot of easy magic tricks on it that you can perform and teach. But it also allows you to see how another performer presents these tricks in a class-type format.

Having said that, one trick that I have used for a few years during teach-a-trick segments is the Clairvoyant Crayons. This is found in many beginner magic books, but can really be a powerful trick if presented right. One rendereing of this trick is available at http://magic.about.com/od/libraryofsimpletricks/ss/Crayontrick.htm.

Give it a try.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2006-03-12 17:22, Bob Sanders wrote:

This age group loves the coloring book. They will surprise you with how well they will learn a routine.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

And then the next time they see a magician performing his routine they'll all shout....I know that one!!!!!

The MCB is the backbone of many kid's performers routines. Best not mess with it.

Quote:
On 2006-03-09 09:02, 0pus wrote:
Cups and balls.

Do the basic penetrations, no large loads. See the first part of the routine in the Mark Wilson book.

For apparatus, go to a Dollar store and get plastic cups that nest (you could even use those disposable plastic Solo cups). Use small fuzzy pom poms (you can buy in bulk from crafts stores) as the balls. Since the pom poms compress, you don't need a great deal of room between the cups.

K-2 will struggle with Cups and Balls. This is 5-7 year olds.

I would suggest

1) Jumping rubber band (as above)
2) Have them draw a lady on a 10cm x 30 cm piece of paper and then have them slip the lady into an envelope with the ends cut off and cut her in half! Fun and easy to do.
3) Teach them balloon animals. Easy. Fun. and no exposure!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Yes, the James Munton DVD is very good, and Brian Flora's information is even better, but I think he's in need of material he can use right away for the class. Here are a couple of ideas that I've used:

1. 21 Card Trick - much too complicated for this age group, but you can reduce it to the 9 card trick, using 3 rows of 3. You can get four decks from the dollar store, and have cards for 20 kids.

2. Sheep and Thieves coin trick - this is an old, mathmatical coin trick involving seven coins (or seven of any small object). Almost self-working, and most five year olds can do it.

3. Clairvoyant Crayons - Scott already mentioned this, but I'll second his idea.

My experience has been that the Jumping Rubberband is too hard - little ones can't keep the band on their fingers while they bend the other fingers in. I tried Cups and Balls many years ago, and it was too hard for them also.

I hope this helps you - good luck.

Ron
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Hi guys,

Thanks for the endorsements! Actually, Ron is correct that Brian Flora's tape is better for this younger age group. My class is aimed at 8-12 year-olds although I have done the class for younger kids with mixed results.

How about the "Two little dickie birds sitting on a wall" trick? Or you could teach them how to pull off their thumb.

Best,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic class magic for K-2 grade (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL