The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Patter for jumping Gemini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Hi all,

I've spent a lot of my time tweaking this effect, as I really like it, I think the flow of the effect is really nice and the series of changes makes for some strong magic - especially the final count. My problem is with the patter. I'm having a hard time creating patter that would keep a laypersons attention whilst remaining entertaining. It might just be me, but saying 'here's one, here's another..another, now it's a ten' just doesn't provide much audience participation, though I find by doing it fast with a colour monte type patter can be quite amusing. Just wondered what all your thoughts were on this?

Thanks in anticpation,

Munskin
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 14:43, Munskin wrote:
My problem is with the patter. I'm having a hard time creating patter that would keep a laypersons attention whilst remaining entertaining.

That should be a clue that it's time to change the way you select material. It took me literally years to break myself of the habit of doing tricks I liked and trying to tack a presentation onto them.

Eventually I realized that it was way easier to find presentations that I could make entertaining and then find tricks that fit the presentation.

For example, I learned “The Last Trick of Doctor Jacob Daley” about fifteen years before I started performing it for laymen. I simply couldn’t think of any reason why I wanted two cards to change places with two other cards before that.

So my advice is to learn tricks that you like simply to enjoy the practice and build your skills. And spend some time thinking of themes that you can present in an entertaining way and find some tricks to match them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Patter for jumping Gemini (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL