The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

burk504
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of burk504
I recently bought Ammar's manual on this effect and can't wait to get it right. When I first started working on the move, I was loosing the band on the floor or getting a loud "boing" sound. I have progressed past that now, but am still having a little trouble with the split second AFTER the move is done.

I still get a little noise at this point and often end up with the bands too far apart (giving away the fact that they are no longer engaged).

Did any of you encounter this trouble when you first began? I also wonder if this is just a part of the effect that needs a little misdirection to cover? (but don't believe that is the case)

Do any of you have any advice on getting me past this point? Private message me if need be.

PS, I read the another post on this and have the list of videos that cover the effect. I am hoping that a little magical advice on this one aspect will prevent me having to buy another video.

Thanks a lot!
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Burk
If you scan through the posts in this section you'll probably find more references to CMH than any other effect.
Most of us are of the opinion that it's one of our favourite tricks - it packs small, instant re-set, jaw dropping result. It's as near to real magic as it gets and they always say 'do that again!' .... and you can.
But you do need to practice hard to get the moves and patter really smooooth. Keep at it, believe me, it's worth the practice to get a trick that you'll perform more often than any other.
Bill Smile
burk504
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of burk504
So far, I have been using #33 bands that are a little thicker than the #19 that Ammar recommends. Will switching to #19's help with some of the issues I am having?
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
I'm not sure switching the bands will help all that much.

What I can suggest is for you to do 'the move' with less tension on the bands... that will eliminate the 'boing'...

and It will stay on your fingers better as well.... as it will not SNAP as hard.

You still need enough tension... so to be honest... just practice this and lessen the tension as much as you need to to get a smooth effect. It could be diffrent for each person... so find a good tension.. and practice leck heck...

Later
Tim
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
i also have Ammar's book, when I first started the bands used to fly off my fingers..Totally frustrated..By just (hate to say it) practing it I now have a kicking effect that even other magicians think is very good..
Don Smile
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Yep - just stick at it and you'll have a trick that will amaze, amuse and all the rest. I first got the Ammar book about three years ago. In that three years I have picked up and put down CMH many many times, until I had the moves off pat, as well as an original presentation that I liked. In the last few months it all clicked and I have been doing it all the time! Patience really pays off.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
erik
View Profile
New user
Bucks County, PA
90 Posts

Profile of erik
Burk,

I find that 1/8 inch thick bands are just to thick for doing CMH close up. (#33 bands are 1/8 thick). The optical illusion is stronger with thinner bands. Also, I like 3 inchers, better than 3.5 but, that is subject to personal preference - although, I like the smaller ones since stretching them thinner seems to help the effect. One more thing, call me picky, but, I like rubber bands with more rubber and less synthetic. Alliance makes a line called "Pale crepe gold" which I like best - click the link below:

Alliance rubber band site

So, my favorites are #18 golds.

Send me a PM with your snail-mail address, and I will gladly send you a fistful of these, if you'd like. I bought a pound of them, and it is about 10x more than I will ever need! Smile

Misdirection question & Video:

Dan Harlan's rubber band video (volume 1) talks about misdirection during the "magic", but properly done, there should be no snap.

Ammar's classic renditions #2 covers CMH as well. He doesn't believe that any significant misdirection is necessary.

Hope this helps!

:handcuffs: Smile

cheers,

-erik
burk504
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of burk504
I see a lot of reference to entire videos on rubberband magic and I am wondering if they are worth the money. If you have the handling of CMH down pat, would you really ever perform any of the other effects (in a strolling setting) that are taught on these videos?
streetbro
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of streetbro
burk

I bought Dan Harlan's rubber band video (volume 1) and i think its worth buying Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Try Jon Allens video called
:spectators don't exist" He has a wonderful rubberband trigoligy with some new ideas I think you will like his routine.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
dsnowmon
View Profile
New user
Ohio's North Coast
63 Posts

Profile of dsnowmon
Burk504,

If you watch Ammars Classic Rendition tape with CMH, you will see that as he's finishing "the move" he runs the band from thumb to pointing finger showing them still linked. It's important to show this because it makes it appear that you haven't made "a move" yet. keep practicing.

regards,

dsnow
burk504
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of burk504
I am answering my own question here, but I went out to the office supply store today and bought the #19 bands. They actually do help with the "boing" sound I was getting. Seems that the wider bands like to cling to each other a bit more and were not allowing the pressure to release as quickly as the thin ones do. Still have a long way to go, so I'll keep practicing.

Thanks for all of the help. You guys are great.
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
Hi Burke,

I've got all four of Dan Harlan's vids and I think they're great. Are they value for the money? That depends on how hard you have to work for your money and how much you get out of the tapes. I've personally had a lot of fun from Dan's work and have built up a pretty good sequence of elastic band effects that I can perform impromptu and I can always carry the props around. CMH is a great trick but there are a lot more rubber band tricks which are worth adding to your repertoire.

Bill
Smile
Biffo17
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Biffo17
Hi Bill,

I've had bands on my wrists for months. I've been trying to get CMH right, struggling big time. It works one in about 20 times. I've only seen it on holiday. The guy showed me 4 times. I need to know the basics. I've researched it online, but I'm still struggling.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Paul Birmingham uk Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy Mans Handcuffs... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL