The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Set of Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
All good advice from everyone here. There are so many good cups that you have so many choices. If you like the triple beaded look...go with the Johnson cups...if you like the double beaded look...go with the JESmagic Squatty Cups (shameless plug!)...if you like the style of the Sherwood cups, go with them. I agree the new Foxy 2.5 cups are awesome, especially if you are trying to use a really large final load from a seemingly small cup. Whether RNT 2, Sherwood, Johnson...you will get the highest quality.

Although, I must add this...the size of the final load is not necessarily as important as what you are producing. Personally, I think that Michael Ammar's Fab Fruit, which fits under virtually any of the above mentioned cups is a fantastic final load. I think that the effect is more "shocking" if you produce something totally unexpected and completely different than what you were using for your routine. I also believe that we, as magicians, tend to "over think" sometimes. The lay person will be equally impressed, if performed well, whether using lacrosse balls as final loads...lemons...oranges..whatever. It's all in the performance!
Regards,
Jonathan Schweid, M.D.
President, JESmagic
RaveMastaE
View Profile
New user
Texas
54 Posts

Profile of RaveMastaE
I was looking at the squatty cups, they look like great cups, but I didn't see how much they weighed. Could someone tell me how much they weigh please?

Thanks,
Evan
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Evan
the cups weigh in at 3oz each. They're spun from 050 brass and copper. Each cup is the same weight or within 1/10th of an ounce of each other.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-03-18 17:09, Christof wrote:
Jake,

I like your new Foxy cups, they look cute! Smile

-Christof

Christof,
thank you for the compliment. Smile
MagiMan123
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of MagiMan123
You might look into RNT II Sisti Cups. Have had mine for two weeks and I love them.
Their Workers. Great balance for turnovers and can take a lot of abuse including David Wilimsons Cup flip. Jake at Rings and Things was telling Me that as he was turning one it shot out and hit the wall,not even a ding. They will hold lacross balls comfortably and age nicely.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have a set of the Foxy II's and I can tell you that they took my breath away. There is no way that you'd be unhappy with those if you like small cups.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 09:21, MagiMan123 wrote:
You might look into RNT II Sisti Cups. Have had mine for two weeks and I love them.
Their Workers. Great balance for turnovers and can take a lot of abuse including David Wilimsons Cup flip. Jake at Rings and Things was telling Me that as he was turning one it shot out and hit the wall,not even a ding. They will hold lacross balls comfortably and age nicely.

Actually I was polishing a set. It's not hard to lose a cup or piece when the wheel catches a small patch of polish. While the wall was a wooden partition, the cup withstood the impact, however there is a Sisti impression in my wall now, just caddy corner to it is an impression from where one of the stainless steel Chick cups got away from me, that one was ugly. Smile

Thank you for the kind word on the Sisti cups.

Jake
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 09:53, rikbrooks wrote:
I have a set of the Foxy II's and I can tell you that they took my breath away. There is no way that you'd be unhappy with those if you like small cups.

Rik,
thank you for your kind words! We've replaced the Foxy II brass and aluminum with the Foxy II.V's in Copper and Brass. The new Foxy II.V's take a tennis ball as a final load and us 1" balls, oh and now are "non" combo cups.

Jake
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
As a owner of both Foxy I and Foxy II I can second (3rd) the excellent quality. However I am also happy he next generation is bigger as I find the earlier I's and II's a bit small for my hands. They are resting quite happily in their display case in my collection. Were the I's and II's CNC cut from bar stock? They sure look like it. I think I read the 2.5's will be turned from sheet stock. Is this correct?

Quote:
On 2006-03-21 17:19, Mad Jake wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 09:53, rikbrooks wrote:

Rik,
thank you for your kind words! We've replaced the Foxy II brass and aluminum with the Foxy II.V's in Copper and Brass. The new Foxy II.V's take a tennis ball as a final load and us 1" balls, oh and now are "non" combo cups.

Jake
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Correct,

the Foxy I and II's were CNC cups. The problem with cups that size it was hard to stroke out the walls to minimal thickness without distorting the cup. The cups are actually cut two times, milled on the outside and bored on the inside.

The new Foxy II.V's are hand spun and cut from sheet stock. Several advantages over this is that you can control the weight of the cup better, we can spin out 60 of these by hand to every 3 that are cut on a cnc machine.

Jake
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Thanks Jake! We look forward to new products and its nice to know whats different. Sounds like the 2.5 cups are intended to be worker friendly. I would guess you had a game plan before the first prototype was turned. The 2.5 cups do sound more like what I want than the I's and II's. That doesn't mean I'll thin out the collection, I's and II's look good in the case!
neonsolen
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of neonsolen
No cups beats the Sherwood cups. A bit pricey, but all worth it.
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
Email me on magictwit@hotmail.com from now on people as my mail@yellowmelon.co.uk is gone. Have some cups on the ship somewhere and the cups are made by Vic in Sheffield. Sorry to everyone who got caught up in the auctions that went tits up.
Who got the damaged set from me. I can't remember.
nz IS ODD MIGHT GO BACK TO eNGLAND.
UM
gARY
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
Gary,

Great to see you dropped in! It was I who received the damaged cups. I've been trying to locate a good repair service, but even my local musical instrument repair shop said it's beyond their abilities. I'll email you with more details. Smile

Greg
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Gary,

I'm glad to see you're back among us again. So, what's so odd about NZ?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lat time I was in NZ it seemed like 1950 compared to here. Too many sheep. They drive on the wrong side of the road... but it was relaxing.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » New Set of Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL