The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final loads audible (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Hey folks,

I'm a bit intimidated to start a new post because I suspect every possible cups and balls topic has been beaten to death somewhere in here. However, I haven’t found any advice about this…

All of the final loads I can find to fit my cups make an audible clunk when I drop them in. I suppose I can learn to finesse them into the cups, but the extra time that takes is problematic.

I’m using crappy penguin aluminum cups, which are thin and don’t hold a tennis ball (even the smaller ones from a pet store.) A racquetball is a good fit, but I feel like it can be heard from miles away.

I just ordered Bazar de Magia copper cups, and I’m hoping that the heavier weight will dampen the sound.

Any insight or advice is appreciated. (LOVE these forums.)

-Daniel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Put the cup over the load. Don't drop the load into the cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Bill,

Thank you! You may have saved me from countless hours of needless clunking. : )

I have read a zillion of your posts, and spent quite a bit of time drooling in your museum. (Your advice is one of the reasons I chose to order the Bazar de Magia cups.) Getting a response from you seems like hearing from Albus Dumbledore or Gandalf! (Your picture certainly supports that impression.)

Thanks again.

-Daniel
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hey Daniel,

I've been experimenting with fake fruit from Wal-Mart, they definatly make noise, however I've learned to talk kinda loud to cover the sound.

Bill does have a nice collection, eh?

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I suggest using real limes or lemons.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Frank,
Everytime I get real lemons & limes my kids wanna suck on 'em...the goofballs. I use for final loads, a soccer ball, football, and a baseball. I got these also at Wal-mart. They are not as big as lemons and such, however they do not create sag or heavy pockets due to the fact they are covered in vinyl and have a spongy like center. You can find them in the party favour section.

One of these days, most likely after this summer I'll get me a nice pouch.

Daniel,
I have the Penguin/MM Coppers and was lucky enough to get a decent set with the exception of the insides, but that does not bother me. Ain't the cups & balls fun? I just wish I coulda got into 'em years ago.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I’ve been thinking I should get Ammars Complete Cups and Balls. But the price is pretty hefty for two. I am somewhat of a beginner, but I have the basic moves down pretty well…would it be a mistake to bypass volume 1?
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Frank,

Regarding using limes and lemons…this may sound crazy, but they move my cups across the pad! Really. If the fruit is not quite settled, the cup shimmies across the pad.

While a little magical in its own right, it’s not the effect I’m looking for! Has anyone else had that happen?

-Daniel
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Daniel,

I would suggest getting both Ammar DvD's for reference sake, the second dvd is really good and has indpth teaching of the Mora/Vernon Wand Spin...as a bonus you get to see Dai Vernon himself perform his C&B's routine, which Ammar teaches on the 2nd dvd.
get both , you will not regret it.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Just my opinion, but I got the meat of my C&B routine from volume 1. There are, of course, many sources for C&B material, but if your looking for Ammar's, I would say Volume 1 certainly.

As for the cups moving on the final load, after you set the cup down keep your hand on it a second longer. Let the fruit settle. Maybe use a rounder fruit, or set the loaded cup down slower. If you take Mr. Palmer's original advice, I believe it would solve this problem as well.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Michael Ammar sells terrific copies of fruit and vegetables that will not talk. They don't come cheap, however, and they aren't always all available. Also, you can find balls that will fit most cups. I know Bill is always recommending a trip to the pet store. There are a variety of ball options available, including Lacrosse balls, 8" baseballs, and so on.

Good luck!

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was at my local Wal-Mart this evening. Some of their new fake fruit has a bit softer surface than the stuff they were selling a year or so ago. It might work. I got a lemon, a lime and a plum to try out. That plum is awfully big, though!

Get both Ammar DVD's. Seriously. There is some great stuff on them. In adittion to the material, you will get to see a man on those videos who was a friend of mine, who is no longer with us. This man knew more about the cups and balls than anyone else I ever met. That was Bob Read.

I corresponded with him extensively by e-mail. I met him at the Centenary in London this past summer. He did a walking tour of the Mayfair district which I took on my birthday. What a birthday party! Anyway, even I, the fellow who prefers books to DVD's, recommend this set very highly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I will definitely get both Ammar DVDs. (And will look forward to seeing Bob Read.)

Thanks for the final load advice. I waiting for my new Bazar de Magia copper cups to arrive and will look for the right final loads depending on their size .

Thanks,
Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final loads audible (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL