The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Imagine you have memorized a MD ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
What tricks/effects are possible if you have memorized a marked deck? You may use specific stacks or just memorize a randomly mixed deck. What would you do?
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
You can do remarkable mind reading, cut the cards into four packets,have the spec choose a pile (give a little peek) and read the cards through the table, if you are good at estimation then you can cut to any card in the deck. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Good luck.
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
There is a booklet available on the market entitled the SUM (Set Up Marked) Deck. It has numerous, good routines and ideas. Smile
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
How is this different then just setting up a Marked Deck into whatever deck order you have memorized?

I mean, memorizing a marked deck is no different than memorizing a regular deck... so rather your using a MD with your Memdeck work, not "memorizing a md"
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Yeah I don't see the point. With an easy peek you've essentially got all the benefits of a marked deck when you use a full memdeck stack, so why bother with using a marked deck? It seems redundant to me.
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Agreed. It's only that I'm working on both things right now and was wondering if you could combine them to accomplish even better effects. Clearly, however, both principles as such provided for terrfic possibilities and peekings always an option.

For those who threw ideas: thanks for your advice!

-Christof
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Actually, marking a memorized deck vs. peeking can open up incredible possibilities, particularly if you choose a marking system that eliminates the need to perform calculations. This forms the basis for much of my memorized deck work, which will be released soon.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm surprised to read suggestions that the marked and mem deck is redundant.

It's one of the most powerful tools in card magic.

You don't just know the next card, but every single card after than. Spec cuts the deck, takes the card without you seeing it....you know the card he took, the card above it, and the card below it. You also know the 5th, 8th, ????down from that one.

The deck is sitting down on the table, spec cuts it, you havn't touched it but you know the top card, the bottom card, and pretty much anything else you want to know about what card is where in the deck.

Larry called the possibilities "incredible" and I'm in full agreement with him.
The possibilities with a marked and mem deck are endless.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
The main feature that comes to mind is the hands off element that can occur, perhaps after a (false) shuffle or two in your own hands. Depending on your eyes and the system in use, such a methodology can give the ability to state "i'll stand way over here, far away from you" and things like that. That can serve to create some powerful moments.
tjo'
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Not saying it's redudent, just that it's not anything new or revolutionary...

It makes some things cleaner, but again it's still the same as a regular deck vs a marked deck.... same things apply...
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
First I would agree with Larry if you learn a memorized deck make sure it is a true memorized deck, NO CALCULATIONS... I personally use Simon Aronson stack, mainly because it has many built in effects that a "shuffled and memorized" deck doesn't have.

As for marked and memorized deck work, I would refer you to Boris Wild! I saw him lecture in Chicago, and he was amazing!

If reading his book doesn't make you want to learn both methods, nothing will. The use of these powerful methods together makes for magic that has no explanation in the spectator’s minds (and most magicians till they find the secret).

Here is a link to his book, you can check the description.
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=251

Good Luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
461 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Ed Marlo was a big fan of this idea, so, while it's not new, it's certainly not redundant..
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
My two cents, I think it's easier and more deceptive to learn a good glimpse or two than to mark the deck ...
cramias
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of cramias
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 14:23, silverking wrote:
I'm surprised to read suggestions that the marked and mem deck is redundant.

It's one of the most powerful tools in card magic.

You don't just know the next card, but every single card after than. Spec cuts the deck, takes the card without you seeing it....you know the card he took, the card above it, and the card below it. You also know the 5th, 8th, ????down from that one.

The deck is sitting down on the table, spec cuts it, you havn't touched it but you know the top card, the bottom card, and pretty much anything else you want to know about what card is where in the deck.

Larry called the possibilities "incredible" and I'm in full agreement with him.
The possibilities with a marked and mem deck are endless.

I haven't done much memdeck work. However, I own the BeyondESP2 cards (a marked deck of ESP cards) and in the booklet, Richard Osterlind details a routine that I have used regularly. As Richard puts it in the booklet, "the two principles cancel each other out." My experience would tend to agree - this is a routine that baffles even the most skeptical spectators. I think the two principle being used together make each other much stronger.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Just an update on the posting I made above on March 21st. Four of my effects using a marked/memorized deck (included one of the strongest effects in my repertoire) are included in my recently-released 2-DVD set, and substituting a glimpse for the marks is not a viable option in those particular effects.

Larry
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone who has seen Boris Wild perform knows the power of a memorized marked deck. His performance at the magi-fest a few years back killed. Get his book on the marked deck as I believe he has some memorized/marked deck tricks in there.
markhsmith
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of markhsmith
Yes, in the book THE COMPLETE BORIS WILD MARKED DECK there is one chapter that deals with THE BORIS WILD INSTANT MEMORIZED DECK.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Larry Davidson is right... there are many reasons to work with a marked deck. If it also is a mem-deck some powerful tools are available.

I have roughed out a book called "Power Tools." It is about using a special memorized-marked deck. I was all set to release a new style of marked deck in conjunction with the book. Unfortunately, that project got sidetracked when the manufacturer decided not to produce the special deck. (It's not a straight marked deck.) We are currently working on getting the deck produced, and if we can, then the book will become available. In the mean time, if you want some powerful memorized-marked routines, get the Larry Davidson DVD's.

Also, Mark Martinez and Larry Davidson know what they are talking about. This is not something like a marked Si Stebbins or a marked Osterlind Breakthrough. It has to be a true memorized deck, like the Aronson Stack and the Tamariz. Of course, there is no such thing as a memorized deck... until YOU memorize one. There are stacks created for memorized deck routines, but you have to jump in and memorize a stack. Aronson is my choice, but there are several good ones.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To Christof,
Here's one thing you can do with a memorized and marked deck. It's a very direct and clean spelling effect with a named card.

You will need to learn three things: First, you have to memorize a stack. I recommend Simon Aronson's but others will work as well. Second, you need to learn Simon's Flash Speller from his book, Try the Impossible. Finally, you need to know my handling of the Haymow or Charlier Shuffle. That's available for free on my web site in one of my articles on Memorized Deck Work. (The link to my web site is below.)

Essentially you will have a spectator name any card. You then quickly cut and shuffle the deck. At that point you spell the name of the card and on the final letter, the card is turned up and it is the named card. When learning this, you need to shoot for speed. That's what makes it impressive.

Here's the how: As soon as the card is named you determine the number of letters in it's name. This is Simon's Flash Speller and you won't believe how fast you will be able to do this after studying Simons instructions. As soon as you have that number, you subtract it from the stack number of the card named and do an estimated cut to that position. Aim a little low... it's easier to correct when you have to move a small number of cards from the top to the bottom than the opposite. As soon as you cut, you read the card and you'll know where you are at. Here's where my handling of the Haymow shuffle comes in. With it, you can move any small number of cards from the top to the bottom in the course of giving the deck a quick shuffle. Of course, if you hit the right place exactly, you can do any false shuffle you wish.

All that remains is to spell the card, letter by letter and remove a card from the deck with each letter. When you finish, you turn up the card and it's the selection. With the marks, should you be a little off in the math or something, you know where you're at. If it's the next card, you just turn the next card. If you're two cards shy, then you apparently turn the next card, but you do a Double Lift Turnover.

What I've given you are just the bare bones. You need to make a routine out of this. It fits nicely into a series of "Jazzin" effects with a mem-deck, of course, but if you want to do it as a stand-alone piece, you will need to flush it out with a good presentation.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hiya,

I stumbled upon this a while ago. Incredible thinking.

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.

Jamie D. Grant
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Imagine you have memorized a MD ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL