The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through glass table... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
I remember hearing a friend describe at a convention something Neighbors did where one of his hands was well beneath a glass table, like his arm was really extended, and he had coins in his right hand which was on top and the effect was basically he made the hands meet (through the table obviously). When his right hand moved away it looked as if some of the coins were just on the table, but his left hand later moved out and some of the coins were in this hand. I thought some of the bigger names (or even not ;P ) who've mentioned Dave may know what the heck this was Smile
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
I personally think that Neighbors has the best work on coins through glass table. His thinking on this is incredible. I would contact him personally to see if he has it in print. I cannot remember if he does or not. Dave's thinking with coins is awesome. I would recommend getting all of his stuff. He is supposed to have a book soon. But I haven't seen or heard from David in a long time.
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
H & R Magic Books carries a set of lecture notes of his entitled "The Las Vegas Lecture Notes." The description of the notes on the site include:

"...two variations of Three Fly (almost required for any coin book), Dave’s versions of Ramsay’s Three Coins and a Hat and Coin Through Hand, Matrix, Coins Through Table, Chink a Chink, and more. "

So while this doesn't specifically refer to a Coins through Glass Table routine, there is some work on the Coins through table. I know that A-1 put out a video several years back on Dave's coin work.

Zach Allen
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
James Lewis has a version of this in his Million Dollar Mysteries video.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I've seen James Lewis perform this live at the Magic Castle, and the routine is excellent.

Derek Dingle devised most of a Glass Tabletop routine for an early Doug Henning TV special. The routine was never performed, but it appears in the "Complete Works of Derek Dingle" (or is it the Almanac?). The first coin is absolutely unprecedented, involving a folding coin and a lit cigarette.

I haven't seen David's routine, but Reed's probably right.

The main problem with this routine is finding a glass tabletop on a regular basis.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
You just need to carry a glass table top around in your Topit then just whip it out and have the spectators hold it for you. BTW you might need to get an extra large Topit. Smile
sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
Well, the way my friend described it, and he's a pretty well posted magician (Hey, Reed, you might know him, it was R. Stephens out of Seattle. I used to hang with all those guys. I hear about you a lot from Steve and Isaac and such. ;P We should hook up.), it was very slow. As in, both of his hands are on either side of the table, it's covered for a second, then the top hand is moved away and for a second it just looks like the coins are up top, but you don't know it's on the bottom till the bottom hand moves out and the coins move with it! And he reverses it!

Ah, well. Thanks for the tip, Curtis. My copy's still in WA but I'm picking it up on my visit for Christmas so I'll check it out. And Greg and Curtis, what doesn't Lewis' version look like? Thanks for the help. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
Ah, well. Thanks for the tip, Curtis. My copy's still in WA but I'm picking it up on my visit for Christmas so I'll check it out. And Greg and Curtis, what doesn't Lewis' version look like? Thanks for the help. Smile

The Lewis versions sounds like what you've mentioned. There is a moment where he removes his hand and you still think the coin is on top. Check out the video... it also contains a good coin transposition and a really good Professor's Nightmare.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I have seen Dave perform one of his coin thru glass table top routines and it was without a doubt one of the most magical looking close up effects that i have ever seen. Im not even vaguely exaggerating. Its simply beautiful.

Matt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where to find glass tabletops...

Counter tops at magic shops, coin shops, jewelry shops/departments at stores. And MAYBE the dinner and coffee tables at some folks homes.

Real tough to carry around though. How do the folks mentioned above travel?

-Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I'm suprised no one has mentioned it but Neighbors has "Four Coins Through Glass-Top Table" in Apocalypse Vol.20, No. 1, page 2739.
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Sol Stone has a similar one called "Cointemplate" where a coin penetrates a clear glass plate (from his DVD).
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Where to find a glass table top?
In the Magic Castle in the room where "the resident ghost plays piano"...
It was there where James Lewis performed his routine to us!
A very magical and memorable moment. A lot of my friends still talk about it...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
How about the effect called:

"Freefall", go to http://www.jbtv.co.uk and download the video! It looks awesome!

Davé
David
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Guys,
Yea I have done My coins trou the glass table at the Magic Castle on That table! And Mich Is right as to where It Is! You could also get the Bound Vol's 15 - 20 of Apocalypse! I also Have 2 outher handleings! One A three Coins up trou a Glass Table where the frist two come up trou the table before the hand come up from under It!
Hay Reed Thanks Man Love your stuff too Smile! Oh An Thanks to Mat Also!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
Heres the deal: This effect looks so good (especially the coins up through the table top) That its worth learning even if you only perform it 5 times in your whole life.

Matt

So I just watched free fall and
First is definatelly not a new idea and the routine is weak (albeit I couldn't here the sound when watching) and for 25 dollars I cant imagine that the gimmick is of quality and in my opinion when your going to buy a coin gimmick you need to buy the best, theres just too much scrutiny on the coin and people know what coins look like.

All that being said I still like the idea.

Matt
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
I personally witnessed Dave Neighbors coins through glass table at a convention nearly a year ago. Absolutely incredible. His thinking is ingenious. If you have really soft coins that are slightly moist, you can get a small delay before the coin actually "falls through"
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
As someone already stated, a lot of people have glass tables in their homes. More times than not, when I've been asked to perform informally in that setting, I'll choose to set something over the top of a glass coffee table, while the spectators sit on the couch on the other side. This is perfect for seated coin magic or matrix effects because the audience is looking down on your hands from several feet away.

So if anything, I've found no shortage of glass tables and sometimes very few solid opaque surfaces to set my practice mat on.
Regards,
James Bostwick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins through glass table... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL