The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tables.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have seen the table up close, and was somewhat unimpressed. To me, it was only a half step up from throwing a drape over a TV tray... something like an industrious kid magician would slap together for a backyard show. I got the impression it was being pitched on the fact that it was made from inexpensive and easily obtainable materials, and as mentioned above, made with a minimum of construction skills. It was a "clever" table. On that note, those seem to be the redeeming qualities. For me, not close enough to pro quality, serious durability, or appearance.

To each his own, though.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
sehrgut
View Profile
Regular user
Augusta, GA
105 Posts

Profile of sehrgut
Quote:
George Ledo wrote:
I think the biggest problem I have with Ammar's table (and not that I have any reason to use one) is visual: three legs on a large square top.

Actually, I think the offbeat appearance lends to its appearance, rather than detracting from it.

Quote:
Michael Baker wrote:
something like an industrious kid magician would slap together for a backyard show.

Though I do agree with this. It does have that "I made it m'self" look about it. I think it's the fact that the edge of the table appears to be made of picture-frame molding rather than cabinetry molding is the operative factor here. I'd just as soon go without the lip than have it look like a picture frame on stilts. I still like the three-legged design, though . . . *grin*

Cheers!
Keith
"It is February, and time to take ink and weep.
One must always write of February while weeping."
-Boris Pasternak

"That night something of youth and beauty died in the elder world." -H.P. Lovecraft
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-06-17 12:06, Michael Baker wrote:
I got the impression it was being pitched on the fact that it was made from inexpensive and easily obtainable materials, and as mentioned above, made with a minimum of construction skills. It was a "clever" table. On that note, those seem to be the redeeming qualities. For me, not close enough to pro quality, serious durability, or appearance.

At the lecture Michael stated that he had looked for the perfect table for a long time, and that he had tables costing thousands of dollars constructed for him, and this table design evolved over time, and he says he is happier with the table than any other table has used . It's Michael Ammar- he could be using any table he wants, and this is obviously the one he wants. I don't think that he is in that big of a hang to push a downloadable pdf file that he has for sale if he really didn't think it was good and used it himself- I honestly believe him that he prefers these tables, and after using them I can see why. Don't knock it until you have tried it.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I don't have the table..but my understanding is the reason for the three legs is it minimizes "rocking" or instability on an uneven surface, like outside. Is this true?
Mark
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-06-18 22:40, mdspark wrote:
I don't have the table..but my understanding is the reason for the three legs is it minimizes "rocking" or instability on an uneven surface, like outside. Is this true?
Mark

Yes. Basic milking stool philosophy. Nothing wrong with that particular design feature.

Quote:
On 2006-06-17 16:27, Marvello wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-17 12:06, Michael Baker wrote:
I got the impression it was being pitched on the fact that it was made from inexpensive and easily obtainable materials, and as mentioned above, made with a minimum of construction skills. It was a "clever" table. On that note, those seem to be the redeeming qualities. For me, not close enough to pro quality, serious durability, or appearance.

At the lecture Michael stated that he had looked for the perfect table for a long time, and that he had tables costing thousands of dollars constructed for him, and this table design evolved over time, and he says he is happier with the table than any other table has used . It's Michael Ammar- he could be using any table he wants, and this is obviously the one he wants. I don't think that he is in that big of a hang to push a downloadable pdf file that he has for sale if he really didn't think it was good and used it himself- I honestly believe him that he prefers these tables, and after using them I can see why. Don't knock it until you have tried it.

All of this may be fine for him, and may very well be fine for others, too. I merely expressed my own opinion. Because of certain construction methods used, in particular, how the legs attach to the underside of the platform, the table is too rickety for my tastes. I am familiar enough with this type of leg joinery, and many others as well, to not have to actually use one of these tables to feel as I do.

I am also not particularly fond of the table's overall appearance. That is simply an opinion based on artistic preference... hardly worth debating.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I am definitely not looking to steal from the new "professor" .. I want to get a feel if I can make it and can afford to make it ..
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Saw Michael's lecture, he shpwed the table and how to make it, very clever as to materials, all attainable at the nearby lowe's or home depot for a few bucks, and extremely easy to make, I changed it a bit, from a square top to a half round one( some might think mine looks even more weird)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A half round top would be nice, and in my opinion, not weird at all.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jondalawyer
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Jondalawyer
The table is really pretty simple to make. I had the luxury of my father-in-law's woodshop to make the cuts and room to work, but really I could have made it in my crowded garage. Lowes, lumberyards and other diy places will cut a board to size. Like any project, a power tool or two helps and makes you feel more like a man...

Michael's instructions are clear and the parts list is very specific. We found almost every item at Lowes, by item number. The paint and table top material were the exceptions. I think at the time I made the table, Lowes was carrying a house brand of paint rather than what Michael used. I bought the rest of the items at a JoAnn Fabric store.

My total cost was less than $50.

I'm a hobbyist and the table is in my family room where I practice. I like it and it serves its purpose really well. It was a little bit of time and money well spent.

Best,

Jon

As an aside, my table top is black. I like it better than the red in the picture.

Best,
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Quote:
On 2006-06-23 18:15, Michael Baker wrote:
A half round top would be nice, and in my opinion, not weird at all.

---------------
thanks micheal, I love my table, half round seems to be just right with the 3 legs and Ammar cartainly made a great case for them,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tables.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL