The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Impose deadlines for clients (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I like this:
"In order to lock that date in for you, I will send the reservation agreement in the mail today. When you get it just sign it, enclose the deposit and send it right back to me."

"Now I can't guarantee that date until I have received the agreement back."

But, I do not think I would have asked for the balance in that particular case. My deposits are non-refundable, but if I did not do the gig, I leave it at that.
She will never call you future work and might bad mouth you as well. Just my two cents.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Harry,

Glad you liked the phrasing. It took me several years to perfect it. Just because it is so simply stated.

In the ten years that I gigged that only happened once. Because that was the only time a gig was cancelled. If it was an outdoor event I would ask if they had a alternate location in case of bad weather. It is not my event to plan but I would try to help them succeed.

There are only four saturdays a month. If everyone wanted to cancel then I wouldn't have been able to pay my bills or feed my family. The contract stated the remainder was due even upon cancellation. She knew what she was trying to get away with. For that reason alone I didn't care to do any future work with her. As for bad-mouthing me, I felt that if they were her associates I wouldn't want to work for them either. Not that I was picky about gigs. I did grand openings at hardware stores when they came up. However they must be trustworthy in order for me to have "locked the date in for them."

On the other hand the agreement states that if the performer cancels for any reason the full amount is to be refunded. I never canceled but you never know when you might fall ill so it was in print.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hey Idiot, your not such an idiot.

You're right, and basically anything you can do to get money down to secure the date is what needs to be done. "Pushy" isn't even an issue. Your the busiest guy in the world as far as they know. I don't care if you have open calendar for 3 years, they don't have to know it.

It is why a car dealer tries to get you to take the thing home at all costs. Once a "transaction" has happened they almost never back out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Just cause I talk slow don't make me stupid.

Seriously, I busted my hump for many years gigging. I don't think I could ever go back to it but I did find all the pitfalls and learned how to avoid them. Giving the impression you are busy, even in January when bookings are slow, gives the client a feeling of assurance. Not that you are scamming them but like Danny said, they should think you are "the busiest guy on earth." This keeps them from haggling about anything.

The most important part of the deposit is to insure the transaction. As I said, only four Saturdays a month. If someone cancelled I couldn't just call up the mortgage company and explain someone backed out of a gig because it rained and ask if I could skip a house payment. Or explain to my son the reason we don't have bread on the table is because it rained.

This is show business. Business is the important part on this topic. Some would-be clients don't take it as seriously as that. They think it is a small mom and pop operation and they can do as they please. Don't let them treat your business that way. Every other business has deadlines and commitment terms. So should yours.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Impose deadlines for clients (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL