The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Mouse pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...check your local office supply store's computer department. They have mouse pads that are 14 x 17, in solid colors, for about $10. They are used to keep things like monitors, etc...from sliding on a desktop. They'll be in the same place as a normal mouse pad.

Mark.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
One of good things about mouse pads if you hit the trade shows is that they are frequent "give-aways".

There are also some very nice ones in the office supply stores. I would actually hate to spill something on them! (No cups and balls with ice cube loads!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
spencerpeterson
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
186 Posts

Profile of spencerpeterson
I believe that at office depot there is something called a supermat that is exactly that the thing as a close up mat but cheaper
www.cleardeception.wordpress.com

The Magic of Spencer Peterson
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...that's what I'm talking about. For the price, and quality, you can get several in different colors and use them, depending on your mood. And, as inexpensive as they are, they can be replaced easy enough.

Just be careful if Bob walks by with a handful of ice cubes!

Mark. Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mark,

There was a time when we did that with live baby chicks. You certainly want to borrow a close up pad for those.

Rocco is guilty of using more ice than I do. And his is crushed!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- We could open a new area called "Puddle Magic".
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Funny, I have lookded around in several office supply stores over the past 6 months and never found anything bigger than the standard 7X8 inchers.
sahunhong
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of sahunhong
MickeyPainless,

I recently got my mouse pad from Office Depot about 2 months ago... Keep lookin, or you can just buy online..

Good luck,
SH
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

I'll keep an eye open SH, thanks!
Mick
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Office Depot online can often solve problems the local store cannot. I get envelopes that way for certain tricks.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

I agree Bob and you don't have to deal with the rocket scientists they have for sales help in the B&M store! Smile
As for the close up pads, I have been making a few from ideas in other topics on the Café and am getting close to MY perfect solution! Tis FUN!
Mick
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've used a mouse pad for a close-up mat. I take a felt square and attach it to the top with double stick tape and trim off the excess felt. It looks nice! If the felt gets soiled, I just replace the felt. Without the felt, the pad is just too slick to perform off of.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Alan -- You must be using the smooth, shiny type of mousepad, which I agree would be too slick for performance. It's also not so great for a computer mouse, either, there's no traction for the ball!

But there is also a cloth-type mousepad, which has a cloth covering bonded to the rubber base. These usually come in black, green or red, are perfect for closeup pads, and would eliminate the need to attach felt with double-stick tape.

The last time I checked, Staples had fairly nice-sized cloth mousepads for about $8-9. As I noted above, I've been using one to demo the Svengali Deck for a long time, and it's held up and been pretty durable. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Well I finally found a large mouse pad in Office Depot down in L.A. the other day for 14 bucks. Pretty darn nice and with a shot of Scotch Guard it should last a good while!
Mick
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 09:44, sethb wrote:
Alan -- You must be using the smooth, shiny type of mousepad, which I agree would be too slick for performance. It's also not so great for a computer mouse, either, there's no traction for the ball!

But there is also a cloth-type mousepad, which has a cloth covering bonded to the rubber base. These usually come in black, green or red, are perfect for closeup pads, and would eliminate the need to attach felt with double-stick tape.

The last time I checked, Staples had fairly nice-sized cloth mousepads for about $8-9. As I noted above, I've been using one to demo the Svengali Deck for a long time, and it's held up and been pretty durable. SETH

I just need more traction that what a cloth covered mouse pad provides. The cloth may offer enough traction for a mouse, but not enough for close-up work. Felt looks better than the cloth that is already bonded to the pad.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
O.K. - don't laugh, but I use carpet samples that I get from local carpet stores for free. These are fully bound, discontinued, about 12" 18" give or take, and work great. I look for pile that is close (obviously shag won't work except for disappearing coin work) and not textured. Endless supply!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I use carpet samples too. I always snatch up one when I see it has the right pile and color. They don't really roll up small...but you cant beat the price, look (with the right color and pile) and they are nearly indestructable for all of our practical purposes! I usually glue some of that 'non slip rug' stuff on the bottom so it doesn't slide around.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Mouse pad (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL