The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting new illusion business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I have a new illusion building and dealing business I have opened up called the Prop Shop. I have a website for this business (www.magicpropshop.com), and already have a few clients I am working with at the moment, but would like to keep the clients coming. My aim is to have a continuous steady stream of clients. Any ideas on how to market this business? I thought about running ads in magic magazines. Is this worthwhile and effective? If so, which magazines are the best? MAGIC is my favorite, what are you guys' favorites? If you were wanting to purchase a new illusion, where would you go to look? Would you go to sources you already know of? Would you search for new ones? If so, how would you search? Probably the internet. Any other way you would search?

Thanks in advace for the advice. I already have some ideas, but I wanted to hear what others thought.

Brian
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Since no one else has responded, I will.

Hmmm. Seems like you have some good questions here. I'll try and give you some insight as to my preferences in illusion buying, what I personally do, and to whom I would go, or how I would go about getting an illusion.

Running ads in magic magazines. Hmmm. Well, I have some very good friends who do this. With advertisements in countless magic readings. The main ones that the magic community seem to be reading are: MAGIC and Genii. Whichever one is the most popular- in my opinion MAGIC is- Genii is good too though. Can't forget MUM or the Linking Ring. But MAGIC & Genii are the most expensive, I believe. My recommendation is just to take out a half page ad in MUM first. They have a great new editor who is making MUM magazine seem more like MAGIC magazine in appearance- he was the former editor of MAGIC. You'll be broadcasting your business to all applicants of the SAM organization. Not too shabby a membership roster. Then if you get a steady reply or inquiries you may want to take out an ad in the Linking Ring. In my opinion Linking Ring caters to more of the 'pros' or the 'wiser ones' *cough 'older' *cough bunch of people.

Would this be effective? Pick up a current issue of any magic magazine and flip through it. Count or tally up how many illusion building companies are taking up ad space. That should give you an idea about 'competition' or just how many really are serious about their business and wish to take out ads.

Also, pick up the same magazine, but a back issue. Go to the previous month. Say you already had a March issue of MAGIC, get a February issue and flip through it. See which illusion building companies continuously run their ads. The serious companies that get repeat business I can assure you are the ones who will run their ads all the time. Why? Think about it- they are obviously getting business. Either that or they like seeing their company in print.

You want to have a steady stream of clients? My advice then is to start with a smaller ad and wait to see what happens. The reason for starting smaller is this: it costs more to get a big ad. With a smaller ad you can run continuously. If you spent 300 dollars for the month of March to put a huge ad in Magic, as opposed to paying 150 for a smaller one, you could invest in two months of ad space and not have to pay 600 for two month's worth of advertising. Make any sense?

Now, if I wanted to purchase a new illusion. (Key word "new") I go to the main manufacturer. If I want the best of illusions I go to Ownen's Magic. No questions asked. Ha. In my opinion online shops that are just online shops are garbage. You don't know who the person on the other end is. It could be some 17 year old without a lick of knowledge about the illusion you're ordering. The real magic shops are the ones I go to for illusions- and Owen's Magic is known and has the reputation for good quality.

Either I go to a main distributor like Owen's, or I get it directly from the builder. Like going to Walter Blaney for my ladder suspension. Or going to Mark Wilson, Greg Frewin, or getting in contact with Tony Clark for some of his stuff. Sean Bogunia, and Yigal Mesika are all that I've dealt with. I prefer to deal directly with the creator. Would I go to sources that I already know of? Yes. I go to sources that I can trust, and that have my best interests first. The reason for this?

Let's say I have my Zaney suspension with me over here in Japan while doing shows over here. I know that it wouldn't just up and break on me. How do I know this? Because I got it directly from Walter Blaney- an amazingly awesome guy- who builds quality magic! That's another thing: supply quality, not junk or ripoffs.

Would I ever search for new sources? Maybe. I am a follower, so I go by what other people think about a certain field of business or shop. So if someone told me not to come to the Magic Café since the people here are all magic dorks, etc. I would initially have a 'negative' feeling towards the Café and honestly probably not come back since I heard numerous reports that Magic Café members are dorks. But I heard that they were all amazingly cool people, so I stuck around.

If I was to search, I wouldn't search. I'd do research first. I'd probably come to this forum or other magic-related forums and view the opinions of others. Keep in mind, I'm a follower. So other peoples' opinions matter to me! Smile I would search the in magazines first and foremost. I would see who's serious about who wants to take my money and then I'd look here on the forum to get some feedback about the company.

Hope some of this helps. Keep in touch-

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Matt,
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. It was great to hear from you. You mentioned some points that I never thought of. I have been doing some research on advertising in magazines... I don't know this for sure, just what I gathered from very hurriedly skimming some pages on the internet. Of all magazines, Genii is cheapest to advertise in, but it seems like they only offer 6 mo or 12 mo contracts... nothing month to month. So, for a month to month trial, one of the others would be best. And yes, I've heard GREAT things about the new MUM. I think I will take your advice and start out w/ something in MUM.

MAGIC is my favorite, and I'm sure the favorite of many others too...I may look into advertising with them depending on how MUM works out for me.

Thanks again for the reply!

B
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Glad that I could help you. I'll keep an eye out for your ad!

Best regards,

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting new illusion business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL