The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lance Burton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I borrowed a DVD from a friend with a Lance Burtin show on and spend the last hour just watching magic. No teaching just magic.
It was excellent and I really enjoyed it and I actually think we should at some time spend more time watching magic than trying to analyze it.
As a question, I sometimes learn more by watching performers than by watching teaching DVD's. Anyone feels the same way? I think new magicians should spend some money on really watching the greats perform and learn from their patter and how they routine things and how good they really are.
Watched a Jeff McBride video last week and loved that too.
Neil Marriott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Neil Marriott
I tend to do that a lot. Anytime I buy a teaching DVD, I tend to watch it all through, then watch the solutions.. then watch the performances just through again. Not all in one sitting of course Smile

But yea, I agree. Subconciously, I now know the effect, but now I can spend more time enjoying the routine for what it is and see how the performer takes it from "just knowing the moves" to actually presenting something magical. All the while taking in that knowledge as well.

Plus, I just love watching good magic Smile
zennomind
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of zennomind
Can't agree with you more. I still consider myself a new magician. Another thing better then that is seeing them live. You can learn something from every magicians performance.
Talarspeed
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Talarspeed
I also agree. My next purchases will be performance-only DVDs. Looking to buy Paul Kozak, Tommy Wonders, and Wayne Dobson.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I saw Lance Burton in Las Vegas some time ago, and his act made a great impression on me. I would love to watch more magic performances now that I'm learning magic. I'm making a real effort to get the Mystery Café on Tuesdays even though it is a 2-hour drive just to see some good magic live. (Danny Hustle, Mike Besnt, David Oliver, Steve Kradolfer, etc.)

-Daniel
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
One of the things I have wanted for years and years was to see a full line of videos put out that was JUST performance! I've talked to a lot of folks about it, but nothing has happened.

I still believe that it is one of the next 'big' things that will happen in magic marketing. Just don't know when that will be. A possible venue for this would be a company that does say 30 minutes of some of the best magicians around and then sells them as video Podcasts with a percentage going to the performer. Properly marketed this could be a money maker for all concerned and later on DVD compilations could come out. Best,
Brad Burt
Sailships
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
15 Posts

Profile of Sailships
Hey Brad! I am a new user here but I love your video's!

My two cents...
Watching video's (as a student) does help you understand the "big picture" better, than just say knowing how to get from Point A to Point B.

For me, most illusions are enjoyable as "puzzles for the mind", that I watch... enjoy. Watch again... digest.... and then ponder them for a while. When I think I have correctly digested something, then I go back and view it again, or in cases where I have bought a video, I go and check myself. I have found as a student that THAT helps me better understand something in the long run...
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2006-04-10 22:00, BradBurt wrote:
One of the things I have wanted for years and years was to see a full line of videos put out that was JUST performance! I've talked to a lot of folks about it, but nothing has happened.

I still believe that it is one of the next 'big' things that will happen in magic marketing. Just don't know when that will be. A possible venue for this would be a company that does say 30 minutes of some of the best magicians around and then sells them as video Podcasts with a percentage going to the performer. Properly marketed this could be a money maker for all concerned and later on DVD compilations could come out. Best,

Brad,
That is an excellent idea but if it only 30 minutes who do you put on and what. Since we are on the Lance Burton subject do you show an illusion, or his manipulation or what.
Who else would you put on. Jeff McBride, Tony Clarke, Cyril Takayama so many to choose from. Maybe they should make it a whole 10 DVD set. I will line up to buy that. Lennart Green, almost any FISM award winner could be on it. Maybe they should call it winning magic acts and just put the FIMS awards winner's acts on them. That would be a great watch. Performance after performance after perfromance. If you get someone to do it let me know I will be the first customer.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Talarspeed- if you want to get a 'performance only' video- contact Denny Haney and buy one of his show videos. I do even believe that Denny has upgraded to DVD! Took him forever! Smile It's an awesome show and you can learn a lot buy watching him. He has a little bit in there for everyone. Dennymagic.com --> worth the investment. Can't speak more highly of him, his shops, and his magic.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
ABC:

It's a starting point. Most acts are flexible enough to have a 30 minute segment cut for a podcast, etc. And, that's just one idea.

Frankly, I would love it if someone would bring out 1 hour dvds that start as far back as you can go and bring out the greats from years past: Dante, Blackstone, Sr., etc. Then move it up over the years. A history of magic that we could watch and learn from and enjoy. I mean what a blast. For Copperfield I think I would prefer a few 'best ofs' over just watching the entire specials again, but that's just me.

I think it would be cool to see vids of Dingle, LePaul, Jennings, etc. just doing their stuff. BEst,
Brad Burt
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Brad,
I know this is restating the obvious but if you find anybody that does this please let me know.
Maybe you should use your expertise and contacts and do it.
You will make a few people very happy.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Watching magicians perform on TV or DVD is great, but to me nothing beats seeing a magician perform live. I, too, saw Lance Burton in Vegas years ago and he blew me away. And even though, in my opinion, their acts are heavy on smoke and theatrics and light on technique, I enjoyed seeing Melinda 'the first lady of magic' and Siegfried & Roy's shows.
Shoot, I'll do anything to see magic performed. I've even been known to get myself invited to a five-year-old's birthday party so I can see a clown/magician perform a few tricks for the kiddies. Smile
There's just a lot of energy to a live performance that you can never catch in a recording. It's like listening to music. You might listen to your CDs over and over, but when your favorite band comes to town you're first in line to buy tickets, right?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lance Burton (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL