The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Don Alan's chop cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
Don Alans chop cup routine has an oline website address. I had it and somehow lost it. Does anyone know it? It is a classic.
budsie175
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of budsie175
I finally found it. I realize most of the posters here are pros, but if anyone has not seen this routine, I believe it is a classic.

http://themagicfiles.com/media/donalan_chopcup.ram
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I have the video from Steven's Magic Emporium.
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
This routine is well structred and entertaining. However, the greatest strength,in my opinion, is the fact that there is no unnessacery repitition. In many chop cup routines, the same basic effect is repeated too many times, but Don Alan's handling is short and to the point.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Chop Cup has been my single favorite magic routine for over 30 years. All we who love it and do it owe a huge debt of gratitude to Don Alan for bringing out the power of the Chop Cup.

In a very elegant way the Chop Cup done well is the very essence of great magic. A cup and a small ball. The small ball vanishes and reappears. It penetrates the top of the cup. Suddenly it vanishes and more suddenly still effect wise a large ball fills the cup and then another appears. Both balls dropped in at the same time disabuse anyone of the possibility of them having both been in the cup AT the same time. Only possible explanation is that they were conjured magically into the cup.

It is a sublime piece of conjuring. Done standing and surrounded it approches further heights of power in the affect on an audience. It is one of the few tricks in magic that when it is good it is never too good. It is in fact the PERFECT magic trick and I highly, HIGHLY recommend to every magician even if you were to learn it and never do it. Why? Because the lessons learned in total about presentation, misdirection, etc. would still be worth more than the time it would take to perfect the routine. But, once you had done so you would HAVE to perform it. Have to experience that rush when the second large load appears. The looks, the gasps the vacant eyes and the sonombulistic hands attempting vainly to push the loads back into the now vacant cup, it's magic expired.

Did I say that the Chop Cup was my favorite routine? Best,
Brad Burt
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Brad, I have just begun to learn the chop cup, and am using Don Alan's booklet, I would love to see it done standing, do you know of a link that shows that, or should I look for an entire DVD devoted to the chop cup?

Thanks,

Mike
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Mike,
I'll try to find a source for you to purchase Bob McAllisters chop cup routine which was written for a stand up routine. It's fairly old and I don't know if it is even still available but Bob always did his routine standing.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe Ron London had an entertaining stand-up routine (using a small Chop Cup in the spectator's hand), too. Probably in one of his old lecture notes.
xububba
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of xububba
Thanks jake, I would love to see it if you come up with anything!!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Don Alan's chop cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL