The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Floating Pen Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
I was looking for a way to do a floating pen (appearing to be writing) using pk m*****s but I haven't seen any books with this kind of idea in them anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on information sources/books I should look for on this topic?
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Kenton Knepper has a book with it, not sure which one...

Sorry,

S
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've looked into this effect myself.
A m***** and s**ms was the best soulution I could come up with too.

My idea was to use a feather quill,
a thin pad that was bound on top so when opened would provide cover,
a TT w/ m*****.

The problem I encountered was keeping the quill from falling over.

A pen idea I experimented with also was using an old trick called "Recap". Not to be confused with the Wilson thing.

I don't have any 'pen thru anything' type gimmicks but I'm thinking that there may be an idea there.
chris35
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of chris35
Did you consider 'Pencil Possession' by Jean-Denis Blanchet ?
A nice impromptu effect. You can find it here:

http://www.newmagicsecrets.com/portal/di......qQXaLOvi
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
I hadn't considered a feather quill. That may well be at least part of the solution, and if not, for atmosphere alone it seems like a good way to go.
The pencil possession looks interesting. I'll have to email the guys and see if it's what I'm looking for. I haven't had a chance to look through the Knepper books yet but that's next on my list.
I did see a levitation using two m****** and s*** of some sort on a science page but I haven't had a chance to email the guy that made the project yet. Still even if that one does'nt work for this it's gotta be useful for some effect. Any w***less levitation is always impressive.Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I didn't care for the way the guy handled 'Pencil Possession' at all. It looked very awkward. Pencil in mouth and the way he held the pad seemed very wierd.

If the pad was bound on top you could have the cover hang down in front to cover the work. You should only need one hand to hold the pad.
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
I searched some of the posts on the pencil levitatation here at the Café and there seems to be a consensus that the performance is quite angle sensitive. This rules it out for what I have in mind.
I want the performance of the effect to suggest that spirits are aiding me in some fashion and this seems to evoke the "how does he do that" response rather than the "how mysterious" response that I am searching for.
Still I'll keep looking and researching. I am always surprised that sometimes the research itself is almost as rewarding as when I finally get the final effect together.
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
I do a feather quill with a th***d. I use Eugene Burgers ghost writting trick with the out to lunch idea. The card is signed front and back and placed in a tray, the quill laid over it. The quill dances and bingo, spirit message.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 18:25, Katterfel22 wrote:
I searched some of the posts on the pencil levitatation here at the Café and there seems to be a consensus that the performance is quite angle sensitive. This rules it out for what I have in mind.
I want the performance of the effect to suggest that spirits are aiding me in some fashion and this seems to evoke the "how does he do that" response rather than the "how mysterious" response that I am searching for.
Still I'll keep looking and researching. I am always surprised that sometimes the research itself is almost as rewarding as when I finally get the final effect together.

Sometimes less is more. Implied movement of the pencil is probably creepier.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Try the book Mystification by Richard Bartram.the effect is called "Pen Hoax" and has no magnets,strings,or huge devices.i wrote a review on it check it out.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 18:25, Katterfel22 wrote:

An excellent attitude and viewpoint on both counts ! Subtlety is usually much more powerful in the long run.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
On an additional note, while I was fooling around with the pk m****** and a fountain pen I came up with a different effect useing the pen as a spirit controlled pointer to indicate the transformation of a tarot card held in a spectators hand.
The moving pen alone is interesting but adding to it the implied change of fate associated with the tarot card change turned out to be quite effective.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The more physical manifestations you have, the more the audience will think of a magic show and not of real phenomena.

They will ask how you did it, not marvel at your artistry or the mystery you create.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
456 Posts

Profile of scolman
There are a few options here if it's gimmicks or apparatus you are looking for:
a) Peter Loughran's "The Relic of the Revenant", A pen can be made to stand up an give the impression that it writes a ghostly message. The cost is $1399.00 but the effect is about a lot more than just a spirit/floating pen.

b) In the collection of Seance Magazines there is an article about a glass box on a turntable that is used with a pen suspended by a string/elastic band, The pen writes mysterious messages. Sorry I don't have mine with me now, I'm travelling so I can't be more specific.

c) The Devil's Spirit Book by Viking is able to do what you want but they are very hard to find as they were produced in limited numbers, also they didn't actually write but appeared to. Keep an eye on e bay!

I am working on a project currently with Paul Ruben of Remote Control Magic to produce an effect where the pen actually writes. PM me if you want details as these will be available later this year.

Simon
Walpurgis special ends on 30th April!!
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If I recall, the original Ouija board was an offshoot of the pencil planchette for spirit writing. Why not return to that past, actual object. the little three legged pencil holder that the sxpirits then can move about on the paper. mush easier for them to just have to push a thing about than hold it up also!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Quote:
On 2006-04-25 22:40, Bill Palmer wrote:
The more physical manifestations you have, the more the audience will think of a magic show and not of real phenomena.

They will ask how you did it, not marvel at your artistry or the mystery you create.

I think I get your point Bill. I actually wouldn't stack both effects. I just thought it was interesting how trying to create one effect led to an idea for another.
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Quote:
On 2006-04-26 10:20, kaytracy wrote:
If I recall, the original Ouija board was an offshoot of the pencil planchette for spirit writing. Why not return to that past, actual object. the little three legged pencil holder that the sxpirits then can move about on the paper. mush easier for them to just have to push a thing about than hold it up also!
k

Awesome Idea. I do a Ouija board effect already so the technique is already in place.
Also with the history of the planchette you have a base spiritualist story built in to work with. It seems like it would fit right in with some of the goth crowds I do magic for. I only wish I had thought of it first. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Floating Pen Ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL