The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove from no where?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I wanted to produce a dove with no jacket or vest on. And not coming from any where specific, FOR A COMPETITION. Any recommendations on where too look??

SIXX
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
BE CREATIVE!

You can build what you need into anything you want. I know a young magician who is going to be doing a whole dove act with a simple button up shirt on. Be open to ideas! I also know a magician who has a pocket in his pant leg.

DJ
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I had once began to work on a routine bare chested (that was before I quit going to the gym *haha*). Its a great idea that you have, and imagination goes a long way! As everyone else will tell you, BE CREATIVE.
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Like DJ said, simply use a stylish button up dress shirt and then do anything you would with a tux/jacket.
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Thanks a lot guys! I have many ideas.

SIXX
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In the night club act, Lucy's costume certainly has no place for doves. (She steals them off me! And it's a piece of cake!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Mr. Sanders - that's an interesting concept!
Dabek
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
142 Posts

Profile of Dabek
In one of the Chavez books Silvan describes a swimming shorts production, which is just what it says. (a production of a dove wearing nothing but a pair of speedos.)

Have fun with that one!lol

Paul
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
I'll tell ya what though.. I know if I were a laymen - I wouldn't want to see a guy producing doves in his speedos - just my opinion... lol.
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Justin,

My doves would be too embarrassed to appear! They often ask me to wear a mask anyway.

Doves from no where? Is that an Alabama joke?

Bubba
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 16:44, Bob Sanders wrote:
Doves from no where? Is that an Alabama joke?

I got a chuckle out of that one.

I helped an "exotic dancer" and I mean stripper with a magic act using the Sylvan method. She seemed to get a good response, not a single eye looked away.
POOF!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I can't compete with that kind of misdirection.

Ray Stevens used to help by saying "Martha, Don't look!".

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was a dove production from a box of Kleenex, or a dove streamer or carnival ribbons.

I won't even start with all the various "box" methods of producing.

Can a "Dove from no where" be seen anywhere?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy uses the Dove from Ribbons surrounded. It works fine.

For me the Zipper Dove Bag is my emergency backup. Oscar Munos has some pretty colored ones.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Greg Frewin and his old partner used to produce doves from unique places. I don't know if his $150 DVD has any of his old ideas on it or not. Anyone have the 'Complete Course in Dove Magic' from Greg that can comment on the content?

Greg's Sleeveless Dove Toss can be used with the outfit you describe, of course you must have some type of table in your act. It sells for $295.

http://www.gregfrewin.com
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Hi wmhegli,

MAy I ask which of Greg's old partner's you are speaking of?
magicneil
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicneil
Greg's old partner was Jason Byrne they did an act called "Double Vision" together.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Sixx – I don’t see clues as to where you stand in familiarity with standard moves, and with performing style. So permit me to toss out a few ideas for moves. You probably know lots of the comments I add - don't be unhappy if this is "old news". For instance, you'll notice that I seem to be unable to get through more than a few sentences before I am compelled to use the word "naturalness". Forgive me. I can't control myself. (wink)

Use the top of a coat hanger as a hook on the top of a bag. Hang it behind yourself, on your waist band. And, look ma! No magician’s elbow! … put a hand on your hip, use your thumb to lift the hook. (Use silks or other more imaginative things to hide the works.) Just like real magic.

A smart table steal is a thing of beauty. Just put total naturalness into your reason to be near the table, total naturalness in any movement that is part of the ruse and use a little time & distance misdirection before production … Bob Sanders is right... piece of cake. (Note: Remember, the hand that drops an item can also pick one up. The reverse works as well! Or – to reach across a table on your right with left hand puts right hand in a useful place.) For unbeatable flexibility and low cost: To try different table moves, and be able to create a gimmick, a shelf or a display at any height that suits me – I used to order a simple display grid, legs with wheels, a variety of shelves. (You can form a simple t-leg grid, a triangle of grids, even a gondola of grids. The look is real clean. Just Google “display grids”.) Since you can see through the grid, it’s quite disarming. Move the shelves to the desired place, and go to work with gaffer’s tape, dowels and bobby pins to create CUSTOM GIMMICS to your heart’s desire. Make changes at will, without waiting for builders, and experiment all you want! With the table - looking so open - as cover, you can commit all kinds of sin. Just cover what you don’t want to have seen by strategically placing items on display, the shelves themselves or, how about a mirrored (“see thru”) bucket on a shelf! You can see the possibilities are endless. And not just for your doves. Want to make a Zombie gimmick go south? And if you decide to use black art – look out!!! The grid – or a series of grids – makes a super-smart, self contained prop. Having the works drop when needed will let you walk behind the grid for some proving some time during the act. A grid is also a nice place to have the things you need during the act. Add high shelves, low shelves, small highlight shelves. I even added a perch across the top.

One more move … it’s always fun to be bold with a capital B – hang a black harness onto the back of your leg with black Velcro. Hands are open, totally empty. Reach behind leg – you know the place we all pull quarters from – and viola! A bird! Just burn a few brain cells to develop a way and a time to 86 the works from your leg. And whatever you do – the magic word is – NATURALNESS. Your actions are offhanded. Not important.. Or, highlighted. Very important. Pretty basic, you get my drift.. The 2 bird/back ideas here do have built-in challenges. Either one would have to be done at the top of the act, since they limit your movement. Also, not good for those occasions with no curtain, no way to walk out. Just things to consider. But if a move is worth it … There are lots of solutions.

Do ya’ like?

Cordially,
Paula
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Wow thanks for the wonderful advice everyone!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove from no where?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL