The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Bizarre Twist Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Hi,
I would like to share with you the patter I use for Bizarre Twist, by Paul Harris.

(I strip the 3 cards from the deck, I false show the 3 backs counting them on my hand, finishing with odd backed card on bottom,packet face up)
Here's what I say.
"Perhaps you don't know, but handling with cards sometimes is very difficult. When you learn to use them, you also understand them better. And you can learn that they have feelings.. yeah, like human beings. There are cards that are kind and friendly, like these ones (show 2 red aces,put them on left hand). But there are also some really tough ones. Take this one for example (ace of spades on top of the other 2 cards). The Ace of Spades. This one is perhaps the most important and best looking card of all... and he knows it. And he's very vain. I show you what I mean. If you try to put him, for example, between two less important cards, in this way (sandwich)...he doesn't like it. And he manages to turn his face toward the public in a second.. because he like to be seen (fisrt twist). Amazing, isn't it? I'll show you again... I sandwich it (sandwich)... and BAM (second twist) he turns again face up, he just doesn't like to show his back to u.
And this is not the whole strangeness of the Ace of Spades... look. Let's put it again inside the other 2 cards (3rd sandwich). Sometimes he is just so ****ed off when I continue to mix him with the lesser cards and he wants to distinguish so much from them that he... (3d twist) even change dress! (odd back appears). Here take a look by yourself (hand the 3 cards for examination). How vanity can influence behaviors, don't you agree?"

I hope you will like it, tell me your opinions about it Smile

Bye

Dave
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
It's a very interesting patter. Might work for you. Personally, I think the visualness and the effect speaks for itself, so I don't use much patter. But, that said, I do like it, very creative.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
That's a nice patter, which fits well to the effect.I always think that any effect, as strong as it may be is enhanced with a nice story (see R Lavand constructio of his tricks).
Smile Smile Smile
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
I was fooling around with the workings of Bizarre Twist tonight and came across a nice subtlety for it:

For the last phase (color change phase), when the cards are in the X position, you can flash the faces of the cards at this point - which gives the illusion that the odd card looks like it's really sandwiched between the 2 matching cards. And because the cards are in an X position, it's hard to tell which face belongs to which back. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

I would even use a Kentonism and comment, "Now, some people think I'm not really putting the Ace between the Two's, but... it really is" (flash faces)

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Dave,

Isn't what you are talking about a mix of "Bizarre Twist" and "Cros Twist" (two of one and one of the other?) I'm never really sure which is which. I like your thinking and ran through it a couple of times. I'm not sure though if the second sandwich/twist is really necessary to reiterate the illusion. However, thanks very much for the false count tip showing three backs the same. So simple, why didn't I think of it before? I was always uncomfortable showing the two backs whilst not turning the joker. Your method really does drive home the fact that there are three same colour backs.

Rick,

I tried it. It's brilliant! In fact, that tip and Dave's false count, in my opinion, complete the effect for me. So much so, it's going back into my routine.

Thanks guys!

:)

Roger
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Not exactly a mix, in the AoA PH explains Bizarre Twist with the final color change in the same routine (oh well, I think, I don't have it here right now...perhaps I'm wrong). The patter works both for the 2 handed version and for the one handed version (i always use this one).

Rick, great idea the final flash, I'm going to try it tonight Smile

About the false count, just don't say "here we have 3 cards with the same back", of course this is useless: just flash them while saying "here we have 3 simple cards... one (show back), 2 (show back), and 3 (here you have a single card and you can leave the back a couple of seconds more toward the spectator, then reassemble the packet and go on)"

Bye!

Dave
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Patter idea (adult) - because the cards are in an X position, you might make a comment about the trick being X-rated. If your odd card is a Queen (between 2 Jacks or 2 Kings), she could be "turning" tricks (reversals). Color change - For Red, a comment about her being embarrassed. For Blue - a comment about this being an off-color or "Blue" story.

Patter idea (clean)- If your odd card is Red Backed, draw a big, black X on it's back (beforehand). Patter line hook throughout routine could then be "X marks the spot". For color change - "Can you see the X?... You should, it's big enough". (show odd card)

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
I find that this effect (I prefer the Cros Twist version) doesn't require much patter. I like to just talk through what I'm doing and tell the spectator to watch closely as I do the first twist.

Almost always, the spectator will say "do it again".. and, of course, I kindly oblige and then floor them with the colour-change.

I really LOVE doing this effect. Trouble is, all too often I have done this trick first (not expecting to be asked to do another trick). And it's pretty hard to follow up.

Syd
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Here's a variation I've been doing:

A card is signed and lost in the deck.

Three blank cards are introduced. Put one face down between the other two face down cards, give them a twist and the center card turns face up. Put the blank card face up between the other two face up blanks, twist, and the center card turns face down. I say, "But this is not all the cards can do. They have other talents. They're also excellent printers..."

Place a blank card between the other two blanks and twist... the signed card is now printed on the face of the blank.

Slays people.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Dave, Rick, and Cfrancis,

Awesome ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Bizarre Twist Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL