The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Modern Masters » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
John,

Michael Close has referred to you as "one of Vernon's most thoughtful students. His books have great tricks and great insights." Most would regard you as one of magic's most highly respected performers.

Who are the magicians out there today who you consider worthy of study? Is there anybody whose books you consider a "must buy"?

Regards,

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Hey Martin,

There are many performers that I like and respect, and many are great for different reasons. I also wouldn't want to limit myself to just modern day performers. Robert Houdin and Hofzinser for innovation and presentational leaps, Vernon for technique and approach to study, Gaeton Bloom, Tommy Wonder and Finn Jon for brilliant creativity, Steinmeyer for construction, prestentation and elegance of method..........I could go on forever.

I don't believe in the single "guru" approach to learning from teachers. If you attach yourself to the wrong one, it could stunt your growth. I prefer to learn from many sources and cherry pick what I like most about each. Your unique choices combine to make your magic a special hybrid....with the best of all worlds. A well rounded education.

If you ever start to get bored with magic, you have only to check out something new. I never thought I would have interest in illusions, but what I have learned from Steinmeyer's "Jarrett" has influenced my thinking in all aspects of my magic. I don't do much mentalism, but what I've studied has taught me valuable lesson for other things.

One of the best, all around sources is the Tarbell course. There is a lot of practical magic there. People are always surprising me, when I ask where they learned that great trick........Tarbell! I thought I went through it pretty throughly, but there is so much, and such variety.......it is definitely a must have.

I have a recommended reading list in my Book of Secrets, but it is too long to post here. I hope the above is of help.

thanks for writing.
carney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » Modern Masters » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL