The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steinmeyer's Crossword Illusion from Conjuring Anthology (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
Anyone else check out Steinmeyer's previously unpublished illusion in the new Conjuring Anthology?
Interesting principle. Looks inexpensive to build. Really original effect.
I know some performers don't agree, but I really enjoy an illusion meant to be performed with patter. I'm sure someone with adaquate mime abilities could perform this one set entirely to music, but it would be tough. I think it might be fun to perform in front of curtain if you had enough space. Maybe just past the front curtain with a runner behind you.
What do you guys think?

OK. So I guess no one else has had a chance to look yet. I'll try this topic in a week or two. If you have the book, be sure to check it out. It's an interesting prop.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I just found out that my copy is waiting for me at home so Ill check it out in a couple weeks!

Robert
Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
Ok. Hopefully I've given everyone else some time to thumb through this book.
We built a mock up of the "Criss Cross" Illusion. I'm pretty excited about the prospects. There don't seem to be many illusions designed for a "talking" presentation anymore. I guess most illusionists prefer performing to musical accompanyment.
In building a mock up we decided to change a couple of things. First, Steinmeyer recommends painting the inside doors white. We found that this bounces too much light around inside the cabinet and makes it less deceptive. We re-painted the inside doors the same very light gray color we used on the "crossword lines". Presto. No more bouncing light, but the cabinet still appears very open, empty, and well lit. In fact, it is so deceptive that we will most likely perform the final effect "front of curtain" on stages that have enough room.
We also built our "crossword tubes" from a high density plastic. We plan to build the final ones out of the same material and have a sign printer finish them out. The plastic is MUCH lighter than the plywood Jim suggests, and the "trap" gimmick can be held closed invisibly with a patch of spandex.
I highly recommend this illusion to anyone who is interested performing a verbal routine in a stage show. It is versitile, engaging, and different.
Edgar Alstad2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad2
Sorry for bringing up this old thread. But do you have any pictures of the illusion? I've curious of the deceptiveness of this principle
Lin_
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lin_
More question : Where I could get copy of this anthology?
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Lin,
jimsteinmeyer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Steinmeyer's Crossword Illusion from Conjuring Anthology (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL