The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is the origin of this move, and what is it called? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Learned colleagues,

I apologise if this post is in the wrong place, or if it is simply ignorant. My main fix is cards, but this is a question that has been bugging me for ages.

This is a simple, but very effective coin transfer that has been used as an occasional after dinner trick by several generations of my family. They are otherwise not particularly interested in magic. I am curious to know where it came from. I cannot find it in Bobo's, which is my only coin reference.

The basic effect is this:
It uses a single, normal coin. The performer's hands are laid face up on the table, 12-18 inches apart. The coin is held in the open palm of the right hand. The hands are simultaneously turned smartly palm-down on the table. The performer asks "which hand?" and the audience invariably point to the right. The hands are then turned face-up, demonstrating the coin to have travelled invisibly to the left hand.

regards

hitmouse
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Its called "throwing a coin into your other hand real fast". I don't know if there is someone who can actually be credited for that.
Click to visit:
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
They say to use Pennys on the hampton vid.
Doesn't seem very magical to me though. My nephew from Kansas showed me the same thing only in mid air. Still didn't seem very magical.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
That effect is actually in Bobos, but it is under coin transformation section I believe. It is described with two coins. Each hand has it's own coin, and "throws one really fast" to the other. The effect need not be done fast at all though. If the hand are arcked smoothly up, and turned over at the top of the arc, the transfer can be invisible. Both coins end up under whichever hand you choose.

John Eddington
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think Rick Anderson does a really deceptive coins across with halves using this method. They go across one at a time. No counting, no phony moves. (except the one under discussion)I saw it late night at a convention in the 70's.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is the origin of this move, and what is it called? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL