The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » The TV Wheel » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I noticed there is a credit on the 1995 Joel Hodgson "The TV Wheel" show for a "John Carney" and I was wondering if that was you?

If so, how you became involved with that project? Have you done anything else with Joel Hodgson?

I thought it was a great show, and was disappointed that it was only shown on Comedy Central one time (as far as I know), and that it wasn't picked up as a series. It was one of the most original shows I have ever seen.

If that wasn't you, I don't want to waste the opportunity to ask you a question, so - what is your favorite thing to do to unwind when not performing or preparing to perform?
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
That was great fun!

Joel is one of my very best friends, and an inspiration as well. He is a tireless worker, and a super creative mind with loads of integrity. Joel wrote me into a couple sketches on the pilot for TV Wheel ("X-Box), as well as the HBO special. For reasons only HBO understands, it did not go to series. It was a brilliant show and had some very innovative television concepts. Plus......it was hilarious.

Joel has been an amateur magician his whole life and wrote a couple sketches with my magic skills in mind, along with what he termed, "circus skills". I guess that means playing up things visually with techniques that stand ups or actors might not understand.

It was a chance to work with a lot of very creative, funny talents. I cherish that opportunity.

What do I do to unwind? Walk, run, read, make-out, write, play guitar, watch Buster Keaton, listen to music (all genres), visit the mountains, martial arts, sing in the shower, and eat too much chocolate.

The rest of the time I just kind of stare off into space.

cheers,
Carney
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Thanks much for the answer - I couldn't remember what network it was on, but I do remember it being funny as hell, and unlike anything else I had seen before, or since. I was sure they would reshow that many times, so I didn't tape it.. dammit. I have seen what I assume are overpriced bootleg copies of it at conventions... I may have to break down and order one, since there doesn't seem to be much hope at this point in having it replayed, though I hate to buy from those kinda folks.

Thanks again for the time you have spent here! I have really enjoyed reading your posts, a lot. I really hope that you can find the time to stop by here once in a while and say howdy now and then, as time permits. Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
Joel has said that he plans on putting out a semi-documentary, the making of TV Wheel or The Making of X box. Don't have any other details.

Just a matter of when he can work it in among his othe projects.

best,
carney
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
TV Wheel was brilliant. In every project I've seen or read about Joel is ahead of his time.

Best,
Tony Brent
Orlando, Florida
John Carney
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles, CA
87 Posts

Profile of John Carney
This is not a joel endorsed site.......just a fan site.

But if you are not familiar with him, this will give you the lowdown.

http://www.members.tripod.com/joelnomiko/joel/joel.html

carney
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2006 entrée: John Carney » » The TV Wheel » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL