The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fan/Blower Sources (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I'm looking for a small but powerful squirrel cage type blower..anyone have any sources for these? Almost for got would prefer DC voltage.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Anyone? I can look on google but not sure what I am looking for..how do you tell how much force they will generate?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Go to http://www.grainger.com and search for "Fans" and "Blowers". There are hundreds to choose from. The best thing to do would be to request a printed catalog from them. That way you can look at the photos and probably identify what you need much more easily.

In the catalog there are charts that give sizes, mounting hole spacings, voltage requirements, CFM, etc.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Thanks Amos.. I suppose the larger the CFM the more force it has..
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Typically, yes. However, a larger fan of similar design may move more CFM (cubic feet per minute), but with the same velocity as a smaller fan. If you are using it for a snowstorm "animator", a larger fan with the same velocity won't usually blow the snow any higher than a smaller fan.

If you tell me what it is you want to accomplish with the fan, maybe I can help get you closer to what you are looking for.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I ordered one last December on eBay from a shop in the US. Only cost about $10.
Getting them in Britain seems to be a real challenge. I run mine from 2x 9v batteries (rechargable) and its quite powerful, enough to throw confetti out of a box around 6 feet into the air. As for the output of it I'm not really sure but the whole unit is about 7" square by 2" deep.

Mark
Mark Daniel
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Mark,

How much noise does it make? That would be the real concern for me. I can pretty easily comprehend the the power element, but I don't want it to sound like I'm firing up a vaccum cleaner when the magic happens.

Thanks,
Richard
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Richard,

Its virtually silent. All you hear is when it fires up and its a very soft sound of the wind circulating, its not noticeable to be honest. If you listen for it, you know its there.

From what I've found, as long as there is a clear way for air to get to it its silent. If you restrict the air to it it has to work harder to suck the air and that's when you can hear it, but still its very quiet.

Just done a search on eBay and its not showing the one I bought but when I bought it he had a few in stock. Will keep checking and if it pops up I'll send you the link.

Mark
Mark Daniel
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
You c an always get the 12vlt car fan and put it on the end of a tube of large diameter pvc, or cardboard to channel it.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
Check out American Science & Surplus (www.sciplus.com) for blowers and fans. They may have what you're looking for...and the prices are much less than Grainger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Fan/Blower Sources (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL