The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If You Know the Ending of a Book... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
Well, I picked up the original, shorter version of The Stand about a week ago. I am entirely captivated with the story. I realize the perhaps the "ending" I thought I knew is not the entire ending. Basically, I knew that (cover your ears and close your eyes) that Randall Flagg gets killed in a nuclear explosion, which told me that the good guys win. Then again, don't they always. Stu, Larry, Ralph and Glen just headed west. I can't wait to see the outcome. I was quite angry that Nick got killed off, but these things happen. I agree the best part of the story was the flu and this is when I really couldn't put it down. I will definitely be reading some more by Stephen King. Anyone have any ideas about what Stephen King book I set my sights on next?

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
If you jump ahead and read the ending of King's Dark Tower series in book 7, you will throw it away in disgust and save yourself from having to read SEVEN books full of meandering self-indulgence that ultimately leads you absolutely nowhere. While there are some fairly interesting ideas spread throughout, the whole thing could have made one fairly decent novella.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I reread a lot of books,
books can be read for pleasure whether you know the outcome or plot,
sometimes rereading brings out aspects I missed the first time through and I can read slower without the plot-rush.

Whether this applies to "The Stand" is another thing, although wasn't this the one that came out first as a cut-down version ?
SantaClaus
View Profile
New user
North Pole
28 Posts

Profile of SantaClaus
Does the question even need to be asked? If you're reading it and enjoying it, despite knowing the outcome, then yes, it's worth reading it. If you're reading it and can't enjoy it because you know how it ends, it's not worth reading. It seems to me that the question is easily answered by simply reading. If you find it's not worth reading ... you can stop.

But as suggested by others -- any book worth it's salt is worth reading even if you know how it ends.
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
Well, I finished The Stand. I then read The Gunslinger. Walter o'Dim (Man in Black) is definitely Randall Flagg. I'm currently reading The Running Man and, the classic, Fahrenheit 451.

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Mack:

You just missed Ray Bradbury, who lectured a couple of weeks back at the West Covina Public Library. I was doing a lecture in the community room and noticed lots of posters with familiar-looking phrases on them ("I Sing The Body Electric," "Something Wicked This Way Comes," "The October Country" &c); it dawned on me that Bradbury had been scheduled there just a week earlier. Yes, I just missed him, too! Smile

Leland
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's not the end that counts, it's the story.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » If You Know the Ending of a Book... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL