The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Why? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Why is it, when I'm a complete jackass on stage people really appreciate my humor and seem to enjoy the show a lot more?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
On stage, you've got to be Larger Than Life (in capital letters). You have to be a caricature, and your actions have to be a lampoon of real life. People expect you to do things that no normal person would ever do. That's Entertainment.

Even in 'the legitimate theatre' characters are not normal people; they act in ways and do things that normal people would never do. Laura in 'The Glass Menagerie' isn't just a fragile flower, she's The Ultimate Fragile Flower. And have you ever spontaneously sprung into song in the street and had 50 strangers join you in a perfectly choreographed dance number? Art is never a reflection of real life, it's an Exagerration of Real Life. It's Fantasy.

And the Bigger you are, the more people seem to love it. If you met someone who acted like Don Rickles or Bobcat Goldthwaite in real life, you wouldn't be amused - you'd just want to shoot them. But on stage, they are hilarious.

So build it up as Big as you can. You'll be amazed what you can get by with. You'll have more fun than ever, and the audience will love it!

Break a leg!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Airship, I totally agree with your with analysis, and Don Rickles really gets me laughing. I can think of a couple more examples, Andrew "Dice" Clay and Howard Stern. People do seem to be entertained by that type of personality. However, I think there is a line. I think, the line is different for different individuals. For me, Don Rickles is funny because I somehow imagine that he is really a nice guy, unlike his stage personna. I feel like it's just an act, almost a mockery of what it would be like if he were really that person. With other performers, I sometimes get the sense that they are truely mean-spirited, and that is a major turn-off. Sure, when being heckled, the entertainer has every right to (and, in fact, needs to) do whatever is necessary to maintain control, and I think the audience (and the even the hecklers themselves) understand. That's cool. However, I don't appreciate seeing the entertainer call an innocent volunteer and then proceed to make that person look foolish.
Seth E. Paternoster
sepaternoster
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Brett, I think, maybe it works for you because you, somehow, let your audience know that it is "just an act" and that, in real life, you're a different (kinder, gentler) person. Perhaps someone here can point out some specific techniques for pulling this off?
Seth E. Paternoster
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You're right, Seth. People don't want to see a REAL jackass, they want to see a PRETEND jackass. Because the pretend jackass lets them vent all their frustration at the real jackasses in the world. If the preformer is a real jackass, then he's just one more aggrevation, not a release for that aggrevation.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Thanks for your input!

I really appreciate it!

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
If people want to see a real jackass, just turn on CNN and wait a few minutes.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Nippulini, many of us feel the same way about Fox. Smile
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
FYI, I've met Don Rickles on several occasions, and his real persona couldn't be further from his stage persona. He's one of the truly nice guys (and humble, as well!) in the business. A real gentleman. -He still took a few moments, however, to make fun of the clothes I was wearing... and I loved every minute of it!

Gabelson
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah, I'd have to agree the asses are on FOX.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of sepaternoster
Gabelson, thanks for the info. That's great to know!
Seth E. Paternoster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Why? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL