The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Metal Appearing Wand Maintenance... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MatthewRichard
View Profile
New user
Richmond Hill, Ontario
5 Posts

Profile of MatthewRichard
Hello,
I have a spring metal appearing wand, that has been sitting in a case for the last year and a half to two years. It was extended when I put it away, but that was all I had done to it.

I pulled it out tonight, and when I tried to use it, I found that it does not close very easily. It also sticks and won't spring open.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to restore it to working order?
Thank you,

Matt
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Clean it well with WD-40. Then apply a coat of good quality machine oil like gun oil and wipe off the excess. Always before putting it away make sure to wipe it down with an oily clothe. Best,
Brad Burt
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Brad is right, also you did the best thing by storing it long term extended.

Bob
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Matthew:

Is the color still good? Or does it looks striped? If it's not a uniform color, get some "blueing" at a gun shop and follow the directions. It will come out looking new.

Jim
MatthewRichard
View Profile
New user
Richmond Hill, Ontario
5 Posts

The colour is a little off...I'll see about the bluing agent, though I kinda like the way it looks...
Thank you for the advice gentlemen, I really appreciate it...
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Someone here in the Philippines used WD40 and his cane turned colorless. I use gun oil - Redisol brand.
MatthewRichard
View Profile
New user
Richmond Hill, Ontario
5 Posts

I picked up gun oil and some blueing agent...
I've oiled the wand, to make sure it works properly, before wasting time bluing if it doesn't...
It works better, but still jams or is sticky...
I've squirted some oil down the inside of the wand, so I work in the oil, and a lot of oil came out and was dark brown, and dirty...

I guess now, a good cleaning would be in order, and then re-oil?

Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Metal Appearing Wand Maintenance... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL