The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Practice Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

I can do the tricks mechanically just fine but when it comes to performing them I am having a hard time. It justloks like I am thinking about the trick. Any ideas of how I can improve this. Thanks.

Patrick
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I have said it many times before...PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE even more, in youre case PERFORM, PERFORM and then PERFORM even more. you'll see, that soon you feel more comfortable performing those tricks. BTW! You have to practice so much, that you don't have to think about the sleights, they must come naturally.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
There is also a difference between practicing and rehearsing. Practicing, for me, is making sure that I can execute the technical aspects of the trick perfectly. Once I have that down, I move on to rehearsing.

Rehearsing is doing the trick exactly as you would for a spectator, including patter, gestures, dress, music, microphones, possible problems etc. I rehearse everything from what I will say to find a volunteer, asking their names, introducing them to the audience, thanking them after the trick etc. Talk out loud when rehearsing so you can hear what the performance will sound like and the tempo of your patter.

Magicians often talk about a routine maturing through many performances. Some of that can also be accomplished through propper and realistic rehearsals. Throw yourself some curve balls too, see how you could handle them in real life.

Just my two cents.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Thank you. I will do that. You guys helped me out more than you know.
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
I've always encouraged our clients to use a video camera when working a new trick. Obviously, you then see what the audience sees. However, we also have found that some magicians are intimidated by the camera. Good luck Patrick.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
I will second he video camera after you are done in the mirror because. if you get to used to the mirror it will be hard to tfo the tricks without seeing yourself doing them.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Too true. I will try everything/anything to improve. Thanks.
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
PaxMentis, Video Camera is alsothe device, that I use. This gives you, chance to analyze yourself later. I also record often during live performances. I let my so called Camera Crew to record from different angles and positions. This is the video, that is not ment to catch peoples reactions and ovations, but my performance.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
BYUDAD,
I have been performing for well over thirty years and only just learned a year or so ago HOW TO PRATICE. Yep, read that again if you wish. All I can truly say is that I invested in a book by the name of:THE OSTRICH FACTOR - A PRACTICE GUIDE FOR MAGICIANS BY GERALD EDMONDSON. It was this book alone that changed my life. Honest! I have read hundreds of books on study and magic and it wasn't until I read and developed a true pratice routine with this book did I suceed. My entire magic world has changed and my magic has IMPROVED so very much. I perform fulltime and I am so very happy that I descovered this gem.
Take a moment and check out this link: http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm
It truly is a great peice that can only benefit you.
Magically,
Ken Winters
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Thank you. I will get one.

Patrick
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Ken,
Thanks for the great comments. I’m glad the methods in The Ostrich Factor are working for you. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Practice Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL