The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What are some good close up tricks for me to use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DVS
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of DVS
I've been doing magic for about 3 months now.
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
Hi DVS,
It would be helpful for you to tell everyone what you are doing now. Then people could suggest things that are appropriate to your interests and skill level. What books, tapes, and/or DVD's do you have for reference, etc?

Trying to be helpful.

DonB
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
I too have been doing magic for about 3 months. I like doing the coin matrix (original one). I'm so into cards I barely adopt coin effects.
white hats rule.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I believe Tenkai Pennies is a good place to start.

I learned it off of the Sankytized II video.

At the time I was telling myself... "I'll only do cards." I thought this was the right thing to do given how much there is to learn in magic. This way, I could concentrate on one thing instead of spreading myself thin over a bunch of stuff. I picked cards! (You picked coins, apparently).

I'll never forget the day I walked into the magic store and Sankeytized II was on the TV (one of the employees was checking it out and I could not help myself but to watch)
and I saw Jay Sankey perform Tenkai Pennies.

I remember immediately saying to myself...
"&%*%! Now I have to learn coins!!!!!" and I bought the video at that moment, threatening violence if they were down to just a demo copy.

That was probably THE best decision I ever made as a magician.

NOW.... Probably, bang for the buck, and considering that you are new to magic, the best place to learn this effect is off of Gregory Wilson's video "On The Spot".

It has many effects that you can do with coins, paper balls, lipstick, and other impromptu items. And you will be able to learn and perform these items quickly including 3/4 across which is his version of Tenkai Pennies. He uses 3 coins (Jay used only 2 and you can still use just 2).

That video is AWESOME!!! and will allow you to do more than just coins. The bad news is that it is a 2 volume set and is $50. So what! The best $50 you can spend for a beginner.

This is my own opinion but I really feel that if you are newer to magic, having effects that span more than one type of magic is best. It keeps you from burning out on coins, it introduces you to ideas that you can extend over to other types of magic, and makes you a more interesting magician.

Of course, there are the Darwin Ortiz's and the David Roth's who get along with one type of magic but...we be not them!!!

And if you ever want to perform stand-up shows, even if it's just for birthdays and cub-scouts or your family at a BBQ, you'd better come with more than a roll of half dollars.

Tenkai Pennies (commonly used with half dollars or quarters) is one of the most magical effects there is with coins and is not too difficult to learn. I went to a Jay Sankey lecture and before he performed it he said, "This next trick is Pure Magic."

It is!

Frank

P.S. Somebody email somebody a beer! I'm excited!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Frank's post is right on the money (pun intended). Tenkai Pennies is a great effect.

There are, a HEAP of good coin tricks out there for you to explore. If you're wanting to do some sleights, adopt a good Coins Across routine or even a Coins Through The Table. If you would really just like to get down to the magic without learning a lot of coin sleights and don't mind allowing a gimmick to do most of the work for you, try Scotch & Soda or Hopping Halves (although you could certainly incorporate any number of sleights with these gimmicks if you chose to add them to your personal routine).

Don't overlook good books and good videos. At the top of this category you will find a post that recommends some excellent work by great coin magicians. Consider them!

As I said before, there are HEAPS of good coin routines and gimmicks on the market that you could certainly adopt.

Best of luck!
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
Hopping Halves is an awesome effect.. Smile
MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
Buy a copper/silver coin(about $10) and do
some research in the forum. I carry a set
and can do 10 tricks at any time.
MAGIC HAPPENS !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What are some good close up tricks for me to use? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL