The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Talking face on internet page? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Quote:
Maybe, he could end up with a page as good as this: http://www.geocities.com/timpossible45/

from the website...

"Tim Possible has stared in many Las Vegas shows. His innovative and autistic presentations of magic have one him literally several awards both in the USA and nationally as well..."

Interesting, never heard of an autistic presentation.

G.
Colin Gilbert
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Colin Gilbert
Dustin Hoffman was quite good in Rainman.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2006-07-13 11:59, G. Batson wrote:
Quote:
Maybe, he could end up with a page as good as this: http://www.geocities.com/timpossible45/

from the website...

"Tim Possible has stared in many Las Vegas shows. His innovative and autistic presentations of magic have one him literally several awards both in the USA and nationally as well..."

Interesting, never heard of an autistic presentation.

G.

At first, I thought maybe we were missing the joke - maybe it's a parody of a magician's site. But then I scrolled down the page, and it is apparent that this individual really does want you to book him.

This, from his webiste:
Quote:
Tim Possible has stared in many
Las Vegas shows. His innovative
and autistic presentations of magic have one him literally several awards both in the USA and nationally as well, including but not limited to:

1st Place - Castle of Magic
Member of the Month.

1st Runner Up - The Magician Award

1st Runner Up - Most innovative
and autistic presentation of magic.

Obviously one of magic's best(?) kept secrets. Smile
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I just noticed the big photo on the "Contacts page". The caption reads a "picture is worth a thousand words".
Everyone in the photo (except Mr. Dugdale-eye on to the camera) is looking stage right, seemingly at the reaction of the person whose watch is being held aloft- we have no idea of how the "subject" is reacting, nor is there anyone in the photo actually looking at Mr. Dugdale.
Okay, so that was not a thousand words, but I am still thinking this gentleman needs to hire a prefessional agency and photographer, and spell out his needs clearly so his site looks as professional as he is trying to present himself.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Colin Gilbert
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Colin Gilbert
Kaytracey Quote [Get over it and try reading the responses to your actual question.]

I can't see where anyone has really answered Wonder pefomance's actual question. (that's right- PEFOMANCE - Funny how you all missed that whilst you were on your high horses. Anyway his question was 'I wonder if anyone thinks it's a good idea to have your face on your internet page talking to the visitor?' What he thinks of Mr Dugdales site is irrelevant but everyone has decided to rubbish it in every possible way they can. I too have never heared of Mr Dugdale but that doesn't give me the right to poke fun at his work, his claims or his site. Maybe he is 'Wonder Pefomance' who knows? He wouldn't be the first to hide behind a psuedonym. Nothing is to be learnt from this topic except that this particular 'Brotherhood of magicians' should be ashamed of themselves.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Colin, a number of us said the idea is good, just that is should be professionally done, or at least done at a higher level than a guy in a t-shirt with not so good lighting, and a leafy growth from his head. As a specific site was given, a number of us went and looked. Since the choices made by the end consumer rely on many things that no one has control over, who can say!?! Perhaps the example given works well. I know a number of folks who use video in their sites, to good advantage. MOST of those are shot, or at least edited, somewhat more professionally than the example given. I took the time to look about the rest of the site, and I made comments on it from my opion, and only mine. If the talking face video sells and gets the man work, then this is all just a moot point.
IThank you Colin for cutting thorugh to the original actual question. shall be feeling properly chastised by you now, for the remainder of my life for overlooking the true question that was asked. Thank you for correcting my erroniously directed answer to a simple question. (I am being serious)
ANSWER to original question:
Yes, a well done video commercial is a good idea on the internet- it is usually preferred on demand, meaning one should click a button, not have it auto start, as some people might be at work surfing and get into trouble when something starts without warning.
Regards
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Lui posted something that really rang the chimes for this thread:

Quote:
What I like about websites:
clear structure
easy navigation
compressed information
short loading times
a photo gallery and/or a video providing good examples of the artists performance skills
an aesthetic unique design fitting the performers style

What I don’t like about websites:
clustered look
long loading times and/or many clicks for little content
sites that make unasked a lot of noise
long text or speeches with little content
no or hard to find photo/video galleries with little stamps showing no real work
password protected areas which make me feel like an unwanted outsider (e.g. “the world famous dog trick”)
template like looks for personal sites

I'd add one thing to that list of likes - readability. The site has to be clear and easy to read. If it isn't, then it fails as an advertising tool.

And I'd like to add one thing to the list of dislikes: unprofessional grapics (and that includes video, but not to as great an extent).

The web is a VISUAL medium and, as such, people have to SEE what they are looking at. Poor graphics, with jaggy edges, poorly color-corrected photos, photos that are too small or too dark to see or poorly drawn graphics simply say to a potential client that the performer does not care about his presentation on the web and therefore will also draw the conclusion that he doesn't care as much about his, or her, presentation in front of an audience, either.

And with video, while some amateur footage can lend a "cinema verite' " stylistic element to a site, it can also damage a site if done in a sloppy manner. And shooting a talking head where that head keeps moving partially out of the frams is sloppy work, plain and simple. And the buying public will see that and recognize it as being sloppy as there was no attempt at making the talking head sequence into some sort of stylistic statement, either visually or on an auditory basis. It was a straightforward delivery of information, much like a news presenter would put forward on the nightly news.

And that, for a "top flight, number one, internationally ranked magician" is simply not in keeping with his status AS being all of that.

The "talking head" sequence on this web page should have been either shot differently to reflect a stylistic statement or it should have been reshot with an eye to better quality in the final video product. But as it stands, there isn't much excuse for moving partially out of frame as he does in the opening moments of the presentation, the lack of fill lighting gave his face some rather odd shadows at times and the sound could have been engineered better.

Or, it could have been done to LOOK more gritty on purpose as a stylistic statement and none of these comments would be appropriate. But, as it stands, it is somewhere in-between and, as such, it comes across as amateur video, shot on a home camera, using the camera's mic, as opposed to using higher quality equipment, better lighting and sound gear, which a top-flight professional would be expected to do.

And for the record, my undeclared college minor was video production, so I do know a bit of what I am talking about on this.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
wonder pefomance
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wonder pefomance
A lot has been said about mr dugdale on this discussion. some have said he looks like a tool. some have said he has bad hair and wears cheap clothes from primark. some have said he has big fat lips like he has been kissing a hot iron.

is it right to say these things? I think not. I think that mr dugdale is an elite perfomer who deserves our respect. after all it is not us who decide who is booked and who is not.

they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, well here is what a cockney says about dugdale
http://www.chrisdugdalemagic.com/page/page/1911764.htm

"the best in the world" - that is a quote from someone who knows.

The green eyed monster (jealousy) is on the Café and it's not nice.

p.s. timpossible - is this a joke from mr ellis? I always like your magical humour eg. the 6 card rap. keep making funnies.
yours in laughter and magic,
wonder peromance.
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Leaving Mr Dugdale aside for a moment (although I do decided who I book and who I don’t.), back to the original question: Is it a good idea to have your face on your internet page talking to the visitor ?

And here the answer : It depends … Smile

It depends on the impression you transmit to your viewer and potential business partner. After the first 5 – 10 seconds the visitor will have made up his mind what kind of character and performer you are. Much more than your actual statement they will remember your character.

They will judge (among other criteria) by

• personal appearance (costume, makeup, hair, face)
  • habit (facial expression, posture, way of speaking)
  • atmosphere (setting, background music /sound, video quality, light)
  • text (wording / content / esprit)

While a low quality Blair-Witch like video might be excellent for a bizarre magician, someone aiming to mix with the rich and famous might rather prefer a James-Bond like setting.

Further 5 – 10 seconds is also the time that’s left to arouse and hook the visitor’s interest. Either the person talking, the video style, the text or the storyline need to catch the audience attention and make them wanting more.

If your budget, technical possibilities, innovative ideas and performing skills are sufficient to transfer the desired image, such a video is an interesting way to go.

If your are just exploring the possibilities of your presentation, it might be smart to start with good atmospheric photos/pictures first. Usually they are cheaper, easier to generate and edit, and you strike that pose only for a moment. Most video ideas can be roughly emulated by a sequel of photos/drawings. Finally you need those pictures anyway … flyer, cards posters, webpage, etc.

Beside all those image stuff, a honest sample of your real work will be the strongest argument for (or against) You. I want to be sure what I’ll get for my money. Therefore, I will rather trust an unedited video of an actual performance than a highly edited studio production, speech or talking face of any kind.

By the way - I don’t think that it is the green eyed monster this time – rather the razor tongued creeper (cynicism).
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
I would have to say C. Dugdale's(aka. your) website looks kindof like a joke. It doesn't matter how much money you get every year or what kind of a car you drive as long as you are talented and love what you are doing. I know of way more talent that makes less than that and dosn't drive a fancy caror if they do doesn't brag about it think it will make them more talented. I have seen 15-20 year olds with better talent then what I have seen of Chris. Just check out Reza's site its the bomb. Now he is talented. So Wonder Pefomance check other performers before calling Chris Dugdale the best.

~Cameron~
Ps. Get spelling help.
(It's spelled PeRfoRmance)
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Talking face on internet page? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL