The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Repairing pages / dustjackets on books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I am trying to find a way to make a decent repair of small tears on book pages as well as tears on the books dustjacket. I had in the past used Scotch Tape, but read somewhere that is a no-no. The majority of my magic books are fairly valuable and would really like the repair to be profeesional looking if that is possible..Any suggestions at all will be appreciated.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Look in the yellow pages for bookbinders/repairs. they can do the work. Ask a local magic book collector who they use. STOP with the Scotch tape!
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
As you have found, Scotch Tape is great for wrapping presents, but not so good for long-term repairs of paper tears.

A few years ago I took several books with deteriorating jackets and had them covered with Brodart, a clear heavy plastic protector (like the stuff that public libraries use). This has worked well and has prevented any further tears.

I'm not sure what you need for page tears, but I'm sure there must be something out there that will do the job. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
I'd also like to know what will work best for dustjacket tears.

And I second the suggestion of Brodart protectors - they work great and are fairly reasonable in price.

Dave
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
See my first post for answer.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Moistened rice paper.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-06-24 01:55, silverking wrote:
Moistened rice paper.

How do you use this ?
Rennie
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Silverking,
Thanks I printed it and will now try rice paper. I appreciate the help.
Rennie
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I read the book repair article mentioned above. Good stuff. They mention using the rice paper for torn pages, but I was wondering if anyone has tried it for a dust jacket. Dust jackets are usually on a heavier stock than the book pages. So I am wondering if clear book repair tape is the smarter way to go with a dust jacket. Thanks for any clarification or input offered,
Alan
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you try this, just use a bit of rice paper on the inside of the dust jacket. Use several layers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
You may want to check out http://www.gaylord.com . They offer archival library supplies of all sorts. I keep all of my books in clear protective jackets which I purchase from Gaylord. I do not attempt to repair torn dust jackets - I just straighten out the torn parts and put the jacket into the clear protective cover which protects it and prevents any further damage.

I've never tried to repair a torn page but if the above suggestions don't work for you I'm sure you could find plenty of ideas by Googling the subject. Good luck.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Thanks Bill and Epoptika. This is an old thread and I appreciate that you guys even noticed the post. I am going to try the rice paper and I am also going to try some archival repair tape intended for this use. I'll try these first on some books I don't care much about just to get an idea of the results, then move on to the books I am really trying to save. Thanks again,
Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Repairing pages / dustjackets on books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL