The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Am I being too picky? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
I have been reading Scarne's and Fulves books recently and I tend to discount those tricks which involve putting the deck behind the back of under the table. It just seems kind of hokey to me to do this. Anyone else feel the same or am I just being too critical.

Don
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Definitely not just you. I usually think badly of most tricks that involve the deck going blatently out of sight.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
No, it's not just you! Smile

I posted about this very same thing some time ago.

As soon as I read "put the deck behind your back..." I read no more and move on to the next. It has to be the worst instruction in magic!!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I tend to agree, although I do like 'Stop at an Ace' from Fulves' Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic (pp.29-31). The spectator chooses four cards, they prove to be the four aces (or whatever).
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Just tell them to close their eyes!
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I don't like this either. When the deck is out of sight the audience becomes immediately suspicious ; although they don't know exactly what's happening, they are sure that this is the moment when You're doing something 'tricky'...and your routine looses effectiveness.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Scarne and Fulves take a lot of tricks that can be done with sleight of hand and make them self working. Usually you can do the trick without putting it behind your back or under the table if you use sleight of hand or some other method at that point.

The books are, basically, designed for those that don't wan't to devote the time to learning complicated sleights or are just beginning. There is no LAW that says you can't use the patter and the plots in those books and use sleight of hand to make them stronger.

If you just breeze by those tricks you may be missing out. If you read the line "put the deck behind your back" and decide that there is nothing at all worth looking at, you may be passing up something very strong. I suppose that if you simply stop reading when you come across an instruction such as "put the deck behind your back" you wouldn't be willing to put in the work to improve the trick through other methods anyway. So, yeah, maybe it is best to just turn the page.

But you may want to take a few seconds to read and find out what is being done at that moment and see if you can do it another way.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
There's also Dai Vernon's 'The Bent Corner Prediction' from Inner Secrets of Card Magic. I've used it a few times. A card whose name the magician has written down in advance is found to be at a number freely chosen by a spectator.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
I agree.

When my eyes read "Place the deck behind your back", my brain receives "Turn the page".
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
I recently saw Martin Nash have a selected card returned to the deck, he put the deck behind his back for perhaps a second, maybe less, he instantly pulled the selected card from the deck.

It nailed quite a few in the audience (all magicians). It nailed them enough that he sold quite a few copies of the notes based on that trick alone.

I think the reason his trick worked was:

1. The motivation for having the deck behind his back didn't appear to be hiding
it from the audience, it was to make the feat more impressive, (i.e. HE couldn't see the deck).

2. The action of putting the deck behind his back and then emerging with the card in the other hand was instantaneous, there didn't seem to be time for any messing about. It was one swift action.

In short, putting the deck behind your back won't in itself turn an audience off. Making the audience feel you "NEED" to put the deck behind your back is the problem.

-Richard
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
Perhaps some magic clubs have done this, but I'd love to see a competition where entrants are randomly assigned tricks from some of Karl Fulves books, and they have a month to prepare their assigned trick and present it.

I'm guessing you'd see a lot of people revisiting Mr Fulves Books after a night of magic like that.

-Richard
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
On 2006-06-24 06:22, NeoMagic wrote:
I tend to agree, although I do like 'Stop at an Ace' from Fulves' Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic (pp.29-31). The spectator chooses four cards, they prove to be the four aces (or whatever).

This got me to pull out the book to see the effect, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Must have been in his second book. If I'm wrong, NeoMagic, could you check on the title of the effect, because there isn't one by that name in my copy.

Thanks!
-Phil in KC
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Here's something I learned from the little cube vision trick everyone got as a kid.

If you can do the "behind the back" work quickly, try it this way:

Turn your back but leave the cards in view and ask them to place the card on top, at the cut, whatever. Or just turn your back and take the card behind you so there's not chance of you peeking. In other words, the deck is behind your back, but in plain view.

Then, as you turn to face them again, the deck remains behind your back for that second you need to do the "dirty work" and then you bring the deck into view again.

Mentally, all they'll remember is you turned your back, they returned the card, you turned around, and then "something magical" happened. That instant while you face forward and the deck hasn't yet completed it's journey will most likely be forgotten.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
That's a great insight, Dave. Thanks!

--d.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Thanks for the great tip Dave. It's wonderful to get advice from those with a lot of experience.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 23:43, phil in KC wrote:

This got me to pull out the book to see the effect, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Must have been in his second book. If I'm wrong, NeoMagic, could you check on the title of the effect, because there isn't one by that name in my copy.

What's the exact title of the book you are looking in?
phil in KC
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of phil in KC
Hi, NeoMagic! Thanks for pointing that out. Mine is the "Self-Working Card Tricks", not the "Self-Working Close-up Card Magic". Sometimes I'm not too swift!

-Phil in KC
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Vandy's idea of changing method ( use sleights instead of keeping the deck out of sight ) is no doubt good. The problem is that, sometimes, it can be difficult, if not impossible...e.g. in a trick like "Scarne's knock-out card trick" ( SOCT, pag. 224 ), how could You separate a lot of cards, one by one, making two piles, if not hiding the deck ?
( It's just an example, one of few tricks I know that is based on that 'stratagem' )
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
Yea I don't like those either, also the add cards on top that matches your card.I feel if you direct them to much its not magic.

six
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Am I being too picky? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL