The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » To coin wizards everywhere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
As I said in my first post I am new to the art of coin magic. I am a male 51 Years of age, so I guess I am getting a late start. I decided to make coin magic my hobby and for a few months now I have been working on the basics. You coin wizards make everything look so easy. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. Unbelievable!

I had no idea as a layperson what I was in for. Since I have seen some of the behind the scenes work, so to speak, I have realized how you look at every muscle and possible contortion and angle of the hand and it simply amazes me how technical simple little coin magic can get. I am totally humbled by what I have seen thus far and I know there is a lot I haven't seen yet.

Actually I am a technically natured person from the start. I am an electrical engineer and I have taught mathematics, physics and advanced electronics, so I am thrilled by the technical nature of sleight of hand, which totally knocked my socks off mainly, because it was so unexpected by me. I guess I should have known, but like I said people like Dan Watkins and David Roth and I'm sure plenty of others make it look so easy its hard to think otherwise. Don't get me wrong they explain the moves to make it as easy as possible, but that doesn't mean its easy.

As I sit here practicing palming one coin while I have 3 others in my hand (Winged Silver) and my fingers bleeding, not really, but it might come to that, I have only one thing to say. I had respect for coin magicians in the past, however I have developed an entirely deeper respect now! Keep up the good work. I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the future and I am going to need all the help I can get.
Where I go, so do my coins.....
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Fingers, you have great enthusiasm!!!

Remain patient and the mysteries of the Universe will be revealed.

Justin
kardillusions
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, AB
544 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
There's a reason you've seen magicians like David Roth do it and make it look so easy... They're the best! That's why you've seen them!

But as I am relatively new to coin magic as well (struggling to make my way back from other realms of magic), I find this forum a great place to ask a question and get a straight answer. Best of luck with you on your journey!

And yes, the universe does revolve by application of the basic principles of coin magic. In case you were wondering.

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Fingers, THAT was a great post. That is just the way I felt when I started coin-magic a little more than a year ago. I've also been blown away by the technical skills these coinworkers have acheived over the years. And I'm hoping to get somewhere near their level sometime between now and the day I die.
I think all the great coinworkers out there deserve all the credit we can give them for beeing such a great inspiration to all of us.

Jim
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks for the input guys, guess we are all in the same boat, just some of us are further upstream. What I really love is the awe you can instill in a person when you do a successful coin routine. My routines are short and I have a very limited repertoire, but even at that I have seen there faces and believe made their day and loved doing it. Guess that is why I am here, to expand on that...
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
...that's why we're all here !and to help each other
good luck on your magical journey

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
Quote:
On 2006-06-27 02:36, kardillusions wrote:
I find this forum a great place to ask a question and get a straight answer. Best of luck with you on your journey!

Best of luck on that!
:P
(Couldn't help being a wise guy)
To believe is Magic.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Fingers, some of it is indeed a little tough. Winged Silver is one of my favorite routines. However, not all is tough. Take a look at Hopping Halves. I love that routine because you get two shells and a sun/moon.

There is a lot to like. I love the challenging nature of the sleights, especially the ungaffed coin sleights, but I love the gaffed coins because that frees me to concentrate on the presentation.

As my young son says, "It's all good."
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Enjoy the journey. After 30 years I realize that I still have lots of things to learn. Perhaps you can bring engineering, electronics and ??? to your routines. The sky is the limit.

Watch out for sky hooks and other hangups.

You and your joy are appreciated by,

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist & Magician with palms of aluminum foil...for the lighter touch in coin magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
I can tell you that when I started with coin magic (and I was cards-only-guy) I was baffled. Palming off the top card from stack of coins (ala Matrix Coins by Joe Reinderflesch) is just SO MUCH harder than palming off top card off of a deck! lol.

I think this is because coins, you really don't have many places to put things. If yo uare working with cards, you have the whole deck, built-in mechanism which acts as... pretty much anything. But coins.. .you only got coins, and your hands! (minus the gimmicks of course, but poor me.. I can't even afford a chinese coin!)

Anyways, great post, and coin magic can seriously hurt your hands so watch out!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-06-26 13:25, Fingers wrote:...I am sure I will have plenty of questions in the future and I am going to need all the help I can get.

Enjoy the journey and ask questions early on. No sense in wasting time on fads or misapplying techniques to create unworkable methods or reinventing the wheel.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks rikbrooks I agree with you totally and the winged silver routine is cool and very straight forward and fast paced and when done right like Mr. David Roth its nice clean magic, however not as easy as he makes it look (ha).

You just may have an idea there Harris...electronic coins maybe...hmmm...

Thanks Matt Malinas and harishjose for your support and I like cards too mc_magi, I have a few tricks, but there is something about the clink of a coin...

Thank you Jonathan Townsend I already did some time wasting and misapplying techniques in the beginning so you are definately correct and I will heed your advice!

I have have learned a whole lot in the short period I have been here. I have an open mind and I know the experience of others is invaluable and with your help I intend to pick your brains...
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jon I argee with you up to a point, not to create, one just becomes a clone of others ,,,,,,
the moment we stop trying to create our magic will never improve
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Vinny, I would agree with Jon 100% in this specific context. Fingers is new - welcome to coin magic Fingers, nice to hear I had some blame Smile. He is best served to learn the foundational sleights and how they are used now before he starts experimenting, trying to re-invent the wheel.

When one is ready to create, he is served better to have a solid foundation first.
Click to visit:
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hey, I did not caution against creativity, just wasting time on unworkable material.

for some good learning material, check out Dan's site: http://www.coinvanish.com

:)

also if you have questions... vinny is a great resource.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dan And jon I agree one should learn the basics AND FOUNDATION OF COURSE IS NECESSARY,i misinterpeted what was said......
my point was if one does not go beyond the basics then there really will be no improvment
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Thommy Razor
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
137 Posts

Profile of Thommy Razor
Fingers, welcome to the surprisingly vast world of coin magic! Coins have had me preoccupied since I started magic, and I learn and hear of something new everyday. Cheers from Colorado!
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." Dr. Konklin, Konklin Mattresses
www.myspace.com/RazorInc
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
Thanks Thommy Razor I'm right with you...

Actually guys I think I get the idea specifically vinsmagic and Mr. Townsend, I have every intention on capitalizing on the basics developed by so many excellent coin magicians, I would think I would be the fool if I didn't. However, in my endeavors I will always have in the back of my mind creating possibly a new routine of my own or a new way to handle coins. If that should ever come to pass, most likely well into the future, I will be glad to share it with you people.

I am so happy to get Dan Watkins input. He is my mentor, ha, but he don't know it! Being the novice that I am, I have already set a goal for myself and a tough one at that. I had ventured on Dan Watkins web site and watched a little, I believe 53 second clip, on the Coinvanish Trio set to music. It is fantastic! I compare it to a ballet, but with coins. You must take a look at it if you haven't already.

My dream or my goal is to set up a whole video of fantastic coin routines set to music also. It would be "Fingers Coin Ballet" inspired by Dan Watkins, if you will. I think then if done properly people would appreciate the beautiful art of coin magic even more and it would be a wonderful supplement to the instructional videos, which are definately necessary, but also give you the insight of how those sleights and routines are really an "art" not just mechanics... Thank You Mr. Watkins!

By the way, I am not thinking in terms of mega sales or anything like that, just exposing the art of coin magic in full bloom, as long off as it may be, that is what I am working towards...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » To coin wizards everywhere (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL