The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training doves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

big Tom
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of big Tom
Hello my name is Tom and I am trying to train my dove. The problem is I have no clue were to start. I see on magic shows that the doves fly forward and then come back and are perfectly content just sitting were ever the magician wants them to. I hold my dove a good 1 to 2 hours a day and move him back and forth from my hands but he seems to not be getting any more comfortable. If any one has any sugestions that can help me please do.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Tom, there are many topics in this forum concerning training. It sounds like you have started correctly. It takes about 6 weeks of daily workouts to train your doves. You said you move the dove from hand to hand. Are you tossing it or just letting it walk from finger to finger? You need to separate you hands about 6 inches and gently toss the bird to the opposite hand. Do this for about a week. Once it gets used to that, increase the distance and continue this until you can separate the hands about 3 feet. To get the dove to fly back to you, you must toss the dove in an arching motion. Instead of straight across, toss it out at an angle. Increase the angle as it's gets used to the routine. Eventually, you will be able to toss the dove straight out and it will turn and come back to you. It's just a matter of patience and work. While you are holding the dove, gently stroke it from head to tail, over and over again. Your dove has to feel comfortable with you and know that it is safe.

If you haven't purchased any videos yet, you should get one or all of these.

Tony Clark unmasked and behind the seams
Andy Amyx doves 101
General Grant How to make a living stealing...doves of course
Greg Frewin's complete course in dove magic

There are many more but these will give you a wealth of information about your dove training and performance.
Where the magic begins
big Tom
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of big Tom
Thank you very much for you reply. I did not know any of that you are a life saver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training doves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL