The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Performance and Misdirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I understand, LockedRoomGuy, that you want to view presentations in order to actually watch misdirection in action, and that's a good idea.

However, I also agree that once you're convinced misdirection actually works, you will need to work out your own misdirection for your own tricks. In order to do that, I also agree with other posters that you need to understand the basics of misdirection. The best way to do this would be either personal instruction or reading about misdirection. You could eventually learn most of these basic principles from watching many different performance videos, but it seems to me that this wouldn't be the most efficient (or economical!) way to do it.

For a short, inexpensive, uncomplicated and very effective lesson on the basics of misdirection, I would suggest the $7 booklet "Don't Look Now!" by Al Leech. This is an oldie but a goodie, and it's available from Midwest Magic (click HERE for more info). At only $7, it's a good value, with lots of practical and useful information. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 08:40, in flames wrote:
Hey evolve629, from all your posts, I take it that your a huge Sankey fan. Isn't Jays new DVD from the 'Sleight of Hand' convension that was in Toronto a year or so ago?

I'm not a huge Sankey fan but I got started by learning his style of magic. I think in Jay's email/website, he said that part of the DVD was a typed live performance from various magicians - so I'm assuming that convention was the one in Toronto a year ago.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Pocket Power by Jarle Leirpoll
Michael Close's Workers series
Tommy Wonder DVD
Leading With Your Head by Gary Kurtz (manuscript)
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

Check out the John Ramsay DVD's by Andrew Galloway as well.
Jason London

This space for rent
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
Quote:
On 2006-07-07 09:56, in flames wrote:
Check out Done By Misdirection by Manuel Muerte. Manuel Muerte is a master at misdirection.

I second this.
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Greg Wilson uses nice misdirection during On the Spot
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Juan Tamariz also
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Tony Clarks Timing is Everything is wonderful. I just put one up for sale on the DVD forum for those interested at a great price.

RandyM
Alejandro Peterson
View Profile
Elite user
México
408 Posts

Profile of Alejandro Peterson
From Second Storm T.I.P.S.by Guastaferro.
Misdirection doesn´t mean you need to have a big explotion on one side of the room while you do something sneaky. I, in fact, depend on the subtlest of misdirection strategies: conventional misdirection . Most of the moves are done on the guise of appropiate patter or interaction with the audience. This allows my magic to be performed slowly and deliberately. It does not necessarily requiere the audience to look in a diferent direction, but rather requires engaging their interest.

I wrote this paragrafh of the TIPS notes by Guastaferro because I think he is a master magician and his missdirection is so smooth and natural , a great example is when he perform a herman pass in his brain Storm DVD´S, 100% UNDETECTABLE!! because every move is justified, another moment of amazing misdirection is in Tommy Wonder ambitious card to ring box ( card fold).
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
This is a great topic to see here on the magic Café. I recommend most of the above as well as a study of Slydini and Michael Vincents work.
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
This is a great topic to see here on the magic Café. I recommend most of the above as well as a study of Slydini and Michael Vincents work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Performance and Misdirection (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL