The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Double Take" DVD bad quality? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Hi all, (wow, been a while since I've been posting Smile )

two days ago I finally got G.Wilson's Double Take DVD. I own the tape as well, but of course, as with all learning videos a DVD is always better, e.g. jumping to a certain explanation etc.
But I have to say, I was hugely disappointed of the DVD. This is a not even a mediocre job of transferring a VHS to a DVD. They transfered and indexed it for the Chapters - that's it. The video quality is acceptable (that is friendly put!!) and there is not even an attempt to better the quality digitally. There are many VHS artifacts and even at one point (I think past 30mins) there is the famous horizontally line going from the top to the bottom of the picture - often seen with old tapes.
Does this affect the content quality of the product? Of course not! It is still IMO THE reference when it comes to Double Lifts and G.W. is an excellent teacher.
But for 25$ I expect a little more effort. Especially with the technology available nowadays. I am no video expert, but even I could have transfered my VHS to my PC, index it and burn it. And the ETMCM series is old too, but they did a better job!

Does someone else feel that way? Did I get a scam DVD? *bg*
cya

Neuromancer
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's not the best quality, but the info is valuable.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
I was thinking of updating to DVD....now I think I'll just stick with my video.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 14:49, MagicChris wrote:

Exactly. At least its not copied on a DVD-R. It ****es me off that people are doing that and still charging $30.00 without listing that it's a DVD-R.
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 15:20, in flames wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 14:49, MagicChris wrote:

Exactly. At least its not copied on a DVD-R. It ****es me off that people are doing that and still charging $30.00 without listing that it's a DVD-R.

as I said in my post above: It is still THE reference and the content is still the best. And I never said different.
But to have a VHS tape on a little disc is not worth 25$. IMO.
cya

Neuromancer
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I think that this was filmed 10-12 years ago and recording quality has come a long way since then.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I also agree that as with most things, the recording quality has improved tremendously. Remember that the transfer from VHS to DVD can only be as good as the original master recording. If it was done on not swo high quality equipment then the result would be not so pristine (when compared with those made today!) I am just very happy that some of the old releases have been reisuued in this more convenient medium!
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
That's too bad. I was planning on trading my VHS copy for the DVD, but since the quality hasn't improved and the content remains the same, I will just do the transfer myself. Thanks for the notice, Neuromancer.
Daniel M. Carrico
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 17:34, magicbern wrote:
I also agree that as with most things, the recording quality has improved tremendously. Remember that the transfer from VHS to DVD can only be as good as the original master recording. If it was done on not swo high quality equipment then the result would be not so pristine (when compared with those made today!) I am just very happy that some of the old releases have been reisuued in this more convenient medium!

Actually, professional SD equipment from 10 years ago can easily match modern recordings in terms of quality. The original Doubl Take probably wasn't recorded on a high quality format, though.
Daniel M. Carrico
Neuromancer
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Neuromancer
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 17:34, magicbern wrote:
I also agree that as with most things, the recording quality has improved tremendously. Remember that the transfer from VHS to DVD can only be as good as the original master recording.

I am sorry, but this is just simply wrong. There are very good techniques out there to restorate/remaster or just simply better the quality. The times, where "can only be as good as the original" was true are long gone. Especially when it comes to A/V.

And as I mentioned several times in this thread, I do NOT expect a DTS 5.1 product - that would be absoluteley unnecessary here. But if I buy a DVD for the full price as other DVDs, one can expect a little more than just "spool it to the DVD and index it for chapters". At least I do. Because the job they did, can be done with any VHS-to-DVD recorder from Best Buy.
cya

Neuromancer
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
It's still an invaluable tool for the close-up magician on the art of the DL. I actually use a DL that isn't even covered in the DVD, but I liked it just the same. The picture quality my be bad, but the same can be said for a lot of DVD's transferred from old VHS masters.

For my money, the worst transfer that I've ever seen is Richard Turner's "the cheat" DVD.
silverzer0
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of silverzer0
I actually just ordered this DVD today. Glad to hear that the content is good and now will be prepared for the suboptimal video quality Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "Double Take" DVD bad quality? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL