The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » If you had to choose... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Thank you, Wizard Rick Maue! I will heed your words and get CT ASAP. I will also add Book Of HauntedMagick to my list as per Dr. Spektor's recommendation. Thank you gentlemen!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Eddie Garland, Circle City Magic had Capricornian Tales! Thanks so much.
They only have one more, for anyone that is interested. This book is getting harder and harder to find.

I am still looking for Sheherazade, so if you happen to see a copy out there, pm me. Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Great news Morning Star!

Circle City Magic has sold a couple of copies of Capricornian Tales recently...almost makes me wonder if they might not be a good candidate for becoming a US distributor for Hauntiques. I want to avoid those shipping charges if I can...
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Now if we can just find someone who can interpret French so that we can get an English version of Compendium Sortilegionis!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
And now that you have CT, Morning Star, you'll have to get Hauntiques when it's released. Smile
I'd also recommend Borodin's "Sherherazade" (which I think was mentioned earlier in the thread) and his latest, "Final Curtain".
Shane's books are reportedly very good too, though I haven't read any of them myself.
Rick's "HM" is another modern classic. I love the ring binding on the book - they should all come that way !
I have so little reading time anymore, unless it's on the 'net. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Shane has some great stuff. Sheherazade is hard to find, it seems. I found it at a brick and mortar store run by a Gospel magician! I didn't expect to find it there because he seems generally against bizarre magic, but the lwa were smiling on me that day! Autumn, you will enjoy CT.

(Time and money, Myst -- what we most need and can't seem to find enough!)

Naljorpa
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-09 17:08, Mystician wrote:
And now that you have CT, Morning Star, you'll have to get Hauntiques when it's released. Smile
I'd also recommend Borodin's "Sherherazade" (which I think was mentioned earlier in the thread) and his latest, "Final Curtain".

I FINALLY found a copy of Sheherazade today, thanks to Dr.Spektor, Professor Pabodie, and Sir T! Clifford the Red and Eddie Garland helped me find CT. Gede Nibo's wonderful threats and Rick Maue's convincing review convinced me I needed CT yesterday. Smile

I have a lot of excellent reading ahead of me. I took The Curator's, Bill Ligon's, and Mystician's advice and pre-ordred Hauntiques. I think this one is going to be like CT and Sheherazade: Gone fast and hard to find.

Thanks to all for your expert suggestions. You helped me build a solid foundation for my Bizarre Magic library: CT, Strange Ceremonies, Sheherazade and Hauntiques. I cannot wait to weave American Indian stories around these wonderful ideas! You guys are great! Thanks so much for all your help.
Doug Henning
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I wish I had Strange Ceremonies, and I eagerly await Hauntiques. I just hope I can afford SC when it becomes available!

Naljorpa
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2006-08-09 16:55, Prof. Pabodie wrote:
Now if we can just find someone who can interpret French so that we can get an English version of Compendium Sortilegionis!

As the Curator's 'official' translator, I couldn't agree more! I have talked with Christian about translating Compendium Sortilegionis into English, but there are no firm plans yet. He admittedly likes the idea that CS is unknown to the English-speaking world - at least for the time being. Translating it would be quite an undertaking, but one I would be more than happy to carry out. Perhaps someone will start a campaign of good-natured harassment to encourage the Curator to have it translated - not that I would suggest such a thing, of course! Smile
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2006-08-10 16:44, Autumn Morning Star wrote:

Thanks to all for your expert suggestions. You helped me build a solid foundation for my Bizarre Magic library: CT, Strange Ceremonies, Sheherazade and Hauntiques. I cannot wait to weave American Indian stories around these wonderful ideas! You guys are great! Thanks so much for all your help.

Fantastic! And having American Indian stories sounds fantastic. If you get a chance if you are ever in Southern California, Knott's Berry Farm has a brilliant magical presentation piece on the lifestyle of Northwest Indians, Bizarre Magick all the way.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-11 06:55, sweetcarl wrote:
Perhaps someone will start a campaign of good-natured harassment to encourage the Curator to have it translated - not that I would suggest such a thing, of course! Smile

I'll do my part and cast a curse of leaky faucets.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
It's not only translation. Those who have the Compendium know that's also a book of art. Extremely graphic.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1362/personnelducrl4.jpg
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Quick response, the drips must be working already Smile

Yes we want it graphics and all.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yes, it is beautiful!
sweetcarl
View Profile
Regular user
Brussels, Belgium
120 Posts

Profile of sweetcarl
Quote:
On 2006-08-12 04:33, The Curator wrote:
It's not only translation. Those who have the Compendium know that's also a book of art. Extremely graphic.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1362/personnelducrl4.jpg

The Curator makes an excellent point. Compendium Sortilegionis is as much a work of art as it is a book of magic.
Official Translator to Christian Chelman and the Surnateum
Linguanet Quality Translations
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Capricornian Tales is one of my favorites.

Congratulations on finding Sheherazade. It is out of print, and will not be reissued. Final Curtain has a lot of good material in it, and has some thoughts about building the stories.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Quote:
On 2006-08-15 23:57, Bill Palmer wrote:

Congratulations on finding Sheherazade. It is out of print, and will not be reissued. Final Curtain has a lot of good material in it, and has some thoughts about building the stories.

And by the way, congratulations to you Bill on post number 10,000!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
And in case anyone wasnt' aware of it, Bill is also the one who translated Sheherazade from German to English, and did a fine job of it too.

It's the old Bizarrist classics that still elude me - Innvocation series, and Strange Ceremonies, namely.. although a lot of that is simply due to $$, not due to being impossible to find.
Still, I have more material to read than I probably ever will be able to, so I really can't complain. Last year I picked up original editions of the first 100 issues (or so) of The Jinx (minus about 20 issues actually); that's enough to keep someone busy for a bit. I got them for all of about $20 - I was surprised that no one really bid on them.
And, of course, we all have Baba's Vo Du Magick to look forward to, too ! Smile
(I got some sneak peeks at it lately - I think it's another must-have, and not just because Baba's a friend)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-12 02:54, Clifford the Red wrote:
Fantastic! And having American Indian stories sounds fantastic. If you get a chance if you are ever in Southern California, Knott's Berry Farm has a brilliant magical presentation piece on the lifestyle of Northwest Indians, Bizarre Magick all the way.

Thank you, Clifford the Red! I will be sure to check this out! I go out to LA on occasion. (When I want to actually SEE the air before I breathe it!)
Doug Henning
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-08-15 23:57, Bill Palmer wrote:

Thank you, Bill. I look forward to receiving this book!
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » If you had to choose... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL