The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Less Time at the Café, More Time to Practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Dittelman
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
179 Posts

Profile of Eric Dittelman
Let me start off by saying that I love The Magic Café and this in no way is a jab at Steve Brooks or his website. I think it's one of the best websites magic has to offer. Saying that,I notice that I love it a little too much sometimes.

It's very easy to fall into the "forum trap" by constantly checking for updates, trying to read the hot new discussions throughout the day and therefore spend way too much time on the internet that one originally intended. I'm afraid I've fallen into this exact trap many times in the past and will probably continue to do so in the future. Now I wouldn't say that the time I spent surfing the site is wasted, because I know there are a lot of valuable things to be learned here. However, I know that some of the time I spend on this site can be better spent. Instead of refreshing the page trying to learn all I can about the new upcoming magic releases, I could instead be working on my pass, some coin vanishes, or perfecting my DL's.

Whereas these forums are a great resource for help on sleights and talking about magic and studying magic. There is only so much you can learn through reading...and there's a lot more to be learned through doing. Any advice given on this site is useless, unless it's put into practice.

So please try to avoid the "trap". Instead of using this website as a "filler" when you're bored...entertain yourself by perfecting your art. Let this website instead inspire your practice so your practice is meaningful and worthwhile!

Good luck to all!

-Eric D.

P.S. In the time I wrote this I could have started perfecting my flash 4-coin rollout.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Just type with a couple of halves palmed. Good luck in the real world (Not that you'll read this response Smile )
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I agree to a point because I see a lot of posts by some apparent beginners asking questions about everything magic type under the sun. There seems to be no set goals or focus for what they want to really do in the world of magic.

In my case I feel that my time is well spent. At least I hope so.
I don't perform much anymore and come here in an attempt to assist in any way I can.

I'm often up a 3AM and practice until 5AM when I leave for work.
When I get home I hit the Café.
After dinner I'll practice a little and then spend some family time or watch TV.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Yeah, it's all about balance and moderation. It's often easier to say than do though. Happy reading and posting!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
I Usually read/write to these forums only when I´m at work, becouse all I have to do here is use the internet and read e-mails Smile ...personally I don´t have anykind of addiction. I Hope that no one does!
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I could not agree more. I became an addict a couple of years ago ... then I realised that I was spending more time here than escaping from things!

Keep to to 10 mins a day ... and all will be well!

James.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I became addict to forums as well.

The slide in the quality of the threads cured me Smile

I now just visit 20 times a day James Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
And another thing.....I used to exercise regularly, lift weights, walk/run and
then I got bit by the Magic Bug. Talk about addiction, all I want to do is study, and practice, watch tapes/DVD's and get on The Magic Café. Not good. I was thinking that many of the magic greats have left us too early (besides Vernon) could part of the reason be the lack of taking care of our bodies? So......take a walk aroumd the block, do some jumping jacks for 30 minutes or ride a bike before picking up the "Bikes". (Priorites: Faith, Family, FIRST) Food for thought!
:hungry:
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Not "practice", "rehearse". Be a good magician, not just a well executed one.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I totally relate to what Eric is saying; when we first discover the Café it really is hard not to become addicted as there is so much valuable information on here and the learning curve is soooo steep. Jaz hit the nail on the head in that you have to know specifically what type(s) of magic you want to learn if you want your time here to be productive.

I still spend too much time here though Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
O.k., so when I don't visit the Café for a couple of days and then notice that my hands are shaking and I'm sweating and I just feel crummy and then by chance I happen to visit the Café and all the symptoms disappear..... Oh, man, I don't know if they have a detox for this sort of thing. Best,
Brad Burt
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Well let me start by saying that I have missed absolutely no rehearsal time, by spending time in the "Café'". Practice realy isn't what most magicians need a lot of. A good magician practices, don't get me wrong, but in our community, that has been so covered and recovered. Not to mention the obcession with the "hotshot" stuff these days. I think the practice thing is taken care of. As for rehearsing, there is only so much you can do in a day. Writing is probably the most neglected, but I must tell you, I get most of my best inspiration while arguing.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I visit the Café during my breaks at work. I practice and rehearse in the evening or on weekends when I am not performing a show. So, the Café really doesn't take away from my practice time.

What the Café does do is keep my motivation for magic moving forwards. It allows me to stay on top of the latest products and become an informed consumer. And, it provides me with a wealth of performance ideas that I've been able to incorporate into my shows.

For me, the investment of time on the Café is definitely worth it.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Less Time at the Café, More Time to Practice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL