The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne- out of date or still a legend? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Harry's "Out of this Universe" remains one of the best bits of close-up mentalism with cards that I perform.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Agreed, Bob. I am obsessed with OOTW plots. I love U.F. Grant's Nu Way Out, Jon Armstrong's Out of This Blah, Blah, Blah and especially Michael Weber's Red & Black.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Harry's Impromptu Out of This World is also excellent. I remember seeing Doug Henning perform it on, I believe, the Tonight Show.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
425 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Harry's "out of date-ness" is to the mystery arts as Beethoven's 5th Symphony is to music!

Great IS great . . . as evidenced by the artist/creator/writer/script/song/picture/piece REMAINING a staple within its artists' and genres' work THROUGHOUT YEARS.

Harry and his works are GREAT and relevant heretofore . . .
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Harry out of date? I don't think so. He's still a legend.
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
The only thing out of date... is this thread!! Smile And, there's no doubt Harry Lorayne IS a legend. His "Close up Card Magic" is a classic (and one of my favourites), his "Best Ever" series of magic videos are, IMO one of the best values in close up Card Magic. Do I even need to mention his memory systems. I memorized 30 items one day, and they were stuck in my head for almost two months! Smile Richard Osterlind even mentions Harry's memory system on one of his DVD sets.

Thank You, Harry Lorayne!! Because of your memory system, I shall never, ever forget your contribution to magic. Smile Smile

Brian
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I believe I myself and many others would not be involved in the Art Of Magic if not for Harry Lorayne.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Let me start of by saying I don't care too much for Mr Lorayne's constant plugs on the green monster forum as the only posts he pops up in is to sell you something as the only answer your looking for is in his book, if that's not the case I must of missed where he mentions someone else's work which may better suit what your looking for and where to find it.

That being said I have a lot of Mr Lorayne's books which are excellent. His Apocalypse is incredible and the amount of work that must of taken up in its 20 year history is astounding and a treasure trove of top notch material. Not to mention CUCM, Personal Collection, Rim-Shots and Afterthoughts.

He is the link that connects the past masters to now and for the future. What he has done for close up magic cannot be down played and everyone who picks up a deck of cards owes a debt of gratitude to Harry Lorayne and the greats of years gone by.

To end Harry is Legend,his body of work that he is putting out and continues to put out proves he is far from out of date.

Just my two cents,

Greig Ewen Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Wish you would have made it just your "one - the second - cent"!!

Just for the record - the only posts I pop up in is when I think that something in one of my books WILL HELP THE PERSON ASKING ABOUT IT. That person can or cannot, of course, pay any attention.

And, I can't/won't mention someone else's work that may be "better suited." Know why? BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW - I'm not a researcher, etc. I know my own stuff - I can vouch for that. I remember Bill Simon and I having this very same discussion - gotta' be about fifty years ago. He said the same thing - he could recommend his own stuff because he KNEW how it applied to the person's question/problem. (It all started when I ASKED HIM about a sleight, and its application.)He did not know how anyone else's work applied. It was up to the questioner to do the research.

Didn't quite appreciate your first "cent" but thanks very much for your second "cent." Best - Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne- out of date or still a legend? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL